Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jayy1
Contributor

How to manage seeing your psych public

Hey so I recently found out through pure coincidence that the psychologist who I stopped seeing a while ago, lives in my area. That's fine by me. But yesterday I saw her in public and really rattled me, in theory I really didn't care if I bumped into her, but when it happened it really freaked me out, I said hello but I do that to every stranger it wasn't until a second or two after that I realised (because of mask), and I pretty much had a mini panic attack, picked up a random thing paid and left the store. It threw me off ALL day. 
Has this happened to anyone else? How do you manage this kind of thing. 
I guess the other concern is I could speak to my partner but she is social worker herself and I don't really want to tread down that  path....

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to manage seeing your psych public

@Jayy1 This very same thing happen to me on a few occasions, I was seeing I psychologist for treatment around 8 months ago once a fortnight for about 2 months. After the 2 months I felt that I was in a pretty headspace at the time and we both agreed that I was fine to carry on myself and came along way since I started with him. Long story short, I run into to him at least 6 times over a fews months and I would have little panic attack each time and turn away and go the other way. But I recently seen him about 2 weeks ago and said hi and he said hi back and I didn't have any problems that time. So I think over time it will get better for you and it would good if you told someone like a close friend or family member and your ex psychologist would totally understand and he is bound by confidentiality. so anything you discussed with her is kept in private anyway. Everything will be fine just give it time Jayy1.

Warm Regards

Haystacks

Hi @Jayy1, that sounds tough. As @haystacks has said, the psychologist would be bound by confidentiality. In my experience, it's left up to the patient/client whether they want to make contact and if so, to initiate it. So it would be completely in your control. Just because you see them doesn't mean you have to acknowledge them, and there are levels of acknowledging too. There's 'hi', but there's also waving as you continue going about your own business as an option if that feels more ok for you.

I find it helpful to try and narrow down why I might have panicked or reacted in a certain way to something- this answer often gives me a hint as to how it might be good to handle any similar recurrences in future. 

Hey @Jayy1, I can't say that this has happened to me (yet!) Heart

In order to navigate this possibly happening again in the future- and I appreciate it's more complicated because you're not still formally seeing them- the responsibility should be on your former psychologist. Especially when living in the same (or a small) community, a psychologist should lead the conversation on what you'd like to happen if you see each other in public. There should be a chance to air your concerns and come to an agreement on how you'd like to interact- if at all. This is at least what I was taught in my own training towards being a psychologist.

If you think this is likely to be an issue again, maybe you can contact them to bring up your concerns? I'd then hope they'd respond respectfully and be able to have that conversation with you, which may then alleviate some anxiety 🌻

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance