Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Yellow
Casual Contributor

Hi All, I'm new and at the moment I'm struggling

Hi All, I've just joined the forum.

I've been battling anxiety for some years now but this week has been terrible. Early in the week I had a major meltdown, I cant got to work because I am fearing a panic attack. I've been crying a lot, for no reason at all and getting angry and frustrated with myself.

I went to the doctor and she advised anti-dep I am on day 2 and I feel a bit "airy" in the head and a bit nauseous. I'd love to know how others have gone with this med? Does the airyness and yuckiness go away? The doctor said to persist for at least 2 weeks. I feel scared taking them, I'm worried about side effects but I know I can't go on like this either.

I've got an appoitnment to see a physcotherapist early next week, and I'm actually looking forward to getting some help.

I think I've developed phobias, I don't like doing anything new or unfamiliar, I hate wating for my name to be called, for example in a doctors office or in a meeting. I just want to flee. I just want to stay at home.

But the last week has been the tears, oh the tears! I just feel so so sad.

As you can probably tell, I'm struggling.

Would love to hear from you'all.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Hi All, I'm new and at the moment I'm struggling

Hello @Yellow, welcome to the Forums.  Congratulations to taking such a proactive approach to sorting out your mental health.  The combination of medication and counselling can be really effective.  But it certainly takes time.  Lots of people report a sort of spacey feel that goes away.  It's hard to say when though as that's different for each individual.  It sounds as if the sadness and anxiety are acute enough to justify trying to push through it. 

Hopefully the strategies you learn in counselling will eventually replace the medication.  That's generally the goal.  A general rule of thumb is that you know meds are working when you no longer cry or get angry as often.  It can take a while to get to that dose.

It's great to have you here in the Forums.  Please have a wander around and check out some of the more social threads like the night shift.  There are friendly folks around that like to chat. 

@Yellow. Welcome to the forum. I too suffer from depression and anxiety and had ptsd. My anxiety levels used to be so high. It really effects all areas of your life.
When I started taking AD (anti depressants) I felt very spacy, but it slowly faded & by week 3 that feeling had gone. But as @suzanne said, everyone reacts differently.
AD's combined with talking therapy will make a huge difference to how you feel. Be as honest as you can with your therapist.
I think it shows such strength to be as pro active as you are. Getting help early.
My symptoms have reduced dramatically. I feel I'm almost at the end of my treatment. So it's possible to recover.
Until you get to see your therapist, can I suggest you just practice a simple breathing exercise.
Breath in slowly - into the diaphragm (your tummy will rise.)
Breath out slowly (your tummy will flatten).
Repeat and continue for as long as you can. Even if you only manage a minute. It all helps.
Practice this a few times a day. Start when you are not worried about anything.
With practice, this simply focusing on breathing can help when you become anxious.
All the best for next weeks appointment

Thankyou for the msgs of support. My therapy session went, kinda sorta, well. I was so anxious I had a full blown panic attack. But the therapist was awesome, once I calmed down it wasn't too bad. I surprised myself I thought I'd be very quiet but it all came flooding out it really helped to talk.
I know I need to go back to work but the thought fills me with dread. My body is still adjusting to the meds but sticking with it.
Thanks again.

@Yellow wrote:
Thankyou for the msgs of support. My therapy session went, kinda sorta, well. I was so anxious I had a full blown panic attack. But the therapist was awesome, once I calmed down it wasn't too bad. I surprised myself I thought I'd be very quiet but it all came flooding out it really helped to talk.

That's awesome your session went well! I remember I spent the first 18 months in therapy not saying a lot...

@Yellow Sounds like you and the therapist will be able to work well together. If you're going to have a panic attack, the best place is with your therapist. Did he help talk you through it?

@utopia yes the therapist was great, did not add any fuel to my panic, let me know I was free to go if I really needed to. At the end of the session she congratulated me, she said she didn't think I'd make it. Panic attacks are so horrible.

Well done with sticking with the session @Yellow. She's right to congratulate you. Panic attacks are awful. Glad you coped so well and could continue. That shows a lot of strength on your part. ♥♥

Hi all
Thought I'd check in and let y'all know I'm doing better. I've been on meds 9 weeks and I'm glad I persisted through the initial difficulty as I am finally feeling better although it took until around weeks 7-8 to really feel like myself. I'm back at work and taking each day at a time. My physiologist is lovely and amongst other things she's got me doing daily affirmations. Admit when she asked me to do it I thought it wouldn't help but it really does. I'm taking more time for myself now and ensuring I don't allow myself to get too stressed before stopping and taking five.
After being very wary of meds for a long time I now feel silly for resisting as long as I did. They are giving my mind and body a chance to recoup while I work through my counseling. Hope everyone else is going well.

@Yellow. That's fantastic news.
Yes the medications also allowed my body to get some sleep - so that I could finally concentrate on my therapy and getting better.
It feels great, doesn't it?
And well done for sticking with it - until it did kick in.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance