Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Healthy relationships: What are the signs?

Thank you @Former-Member, it is soo good to have reminders my sisterHeartHeart

So maybe I’m one of those toxic people everyone tells you to stay away from
@Faith-and-Hope

@Catcakes
I am constantly amazed by the strength and tenacity that those with LE on this forum demonstrate, not giving in when you feel absolute despair, often whilst caring for others. You own your experiences and come seeking support and encouragement to be able to continue; that is courage. I have learnt so much not only about how to better care for my husband, but I have seen wisdom and understanding here that I pray one day I will have. I am standing in your corner, cheering for you as you tackle your health issues.

Well said @Former-Member .... I feel privileged when those with mi lived experiences share their views, wisdom and strengths with us on the carer side of things.  The degree of empathy here seems condensed compared with general society and I think it is because there is so much to teach and learn from each other when there are mi issues to contend with,

I haven’t been aware of this thread @Catcakes. I will have a read-through tomorrow ....

Goodnight to anyone who is still around ....

hello @Former-Member

Loved the first list that you posted...definitely have met in past and in present people who tick every dot point...yes smile and move on when see them..

Posting your honest situation and how you dealt with it.. is inspiring...you have certainly shown strength and stamina...You also have had some strong support..

I do think that we have to be careful when we make generalising comments about " people wearing masks not being happy within themselves and cannot form happy, healthy relationships "

as you mentioned earlier we are all unique...all have had different experiences...many times over...for some...are at different stages in their illness...life...external circumstances definitely hampering their strong attempts in managing their illnesses..

some people learn that they can manage their illnesses or situations and find the best quality of life in relation to those circumstances...

wearing a mask has a different meaning for each individual...for some it is the only way of coping in the external world...the only way of pushing and trying so hard to have a career...they want so much to provide for their children and selves...striving to make a better life...

some never take the mask off...some never wear one....the mask is not the issue...it is each individual person with their own story ...their journey...

not everyone wants to share everything...bare their whole life traumas...that does not make them a person who cannot have a fulfilling relationship....they can still be as loving and be loved and appreciated as someone without a mask..

Please do not take this as a criticism of yourself....you genuinely are a caring, supportive person who offers help to others..

this is just for others reading also to look at it from a different perspective..

so referring back to the title of the thread...the wearing of a mask is not a sign of an unhealthy relationship...

my take....

Hi @Former-Member,

Thank you for your kind post. I enjoyed reading it. No I don't take that as a personal criticism at all - that is what healthy discussion is all about. We dont all have to agree and I like hearing others thoughts on the topic. We can agree to disagree.

I didn't mean putting on a brave face to succeed and push through or putting on smile when sad etc (that's bravado) or baring our soul to all.  I would not do the latter either with anyone  but my husband and I put on a smile when feeling sick etc. That is courage to not upset or worry the other, a good thing. I agree with you.

What I meant re masks and the signs of a healthy relationship is where people are being real and honest to each other to the best of their capacities and are not pretending to be someone else. That way they can make genuine bonds. 

My daughter got drawn in by the latter and was damaged. She was with someone who pretended to be a very good, loving caring person but she found out he was not at all. She started to pick up his traits and the relationship became toxic. She is still getting over it. I have suffered relations like that in the past also were people were not being real and they are not healthy. 

Hope your day is a good one 💕

This is a really broad topic ....

I call it toxic when you have an infant undergoing life-saving surgery, with two more infants in tow, and someone is “throwing marbles under your feet” .... trying to destroy your coping ability in order to compete with you for your husband’s attention ..... trying to make you fail as a parent in order to validate their own parenting style by taking over from you when you prove to be incompetent ..... undoing your house management systems for the same reason ..... and pretending all the while to be there offering any “assistance” they can ..... then acting the martyr when their “offers” (demands) are “rejected” (placed within boundaries in fact) ..... and they pull out of babysitting at the last minute because they have decided to go to the hairdresser instead, leaving you to, last minute, place for the three infants to spend five hour stints at the hospital with you .... to be changed, fed, slept, entertained in a stroller .....

Rant over.  There are many of us managing very difficult people in our lives, and this is now a long time ago for me .....

Probably more to the point, is why these people are “toxic” ..... what need are they trying to meet for themselves, and you are either in their way, or perceived to be a threat, or just someone they can bully because it makes them feel better about themselves ?

For me, when someone is being awful and hurting others around them, it’s because they have been hurt themselves ..... they are motivated by pain or fear or low self-esteem .... and what they really need is help and understanding .... support.

This opens a whole other can of worms ..... are you the person to help them ?  Can you co-exist with them, within boundaries ?  Are the boundaries able to be implemnted and sustained ?  Do you have the time, energy, personal investment, to be able to do this ?  I chose to do this.  I wasn’t the only person in a relationship with them, and weighing up the immediate, and potential future costs, I went that way.  Has it been for the best ?  I like to think so.  I found ways to be able to give to that person because they needed care .... at arms length because they would still lash out despite themselves.

People are people at the end of the day, and sayings like, “Walk a mile in my shoes”, and “There but for the grace of God go I”, and many more, are there for a reason.  Boundaries are a form of nurturing, in my opinion, but sometimes self-nurturing requires that you walk away ..... there are no easy answers, and we don’t have the right to judge other people’s masks, only our own.  We can be wary of them however.

thank you for taking it as it was meant @Former-Member

I too very sadly was under the spell of a narcissist for about 5-6 years....caused much damage and my self-esteem just dissipated...a psychologist I was seeing alerted me to get out of the house that we had bought together ...to have someone accompany me...that my life was at risk...she perceived this when we both went for an appointment and she witnessed his demeanour and responses...he got up and walked out of the room...he could not control her...

so this part of my life further drives me to stand up for things that I feel strongly about...

my self esteem is now in much better condition...ongoing repair for life ...

we are probably talking about the same things now ...was just triggered...am fine...

enough

Hello @Faith-and-Hope

I think that was a very brave response from deep within yourself..

Quite correct we have no right to advise or judge others for whatever manner or strategies that they use to cope...We are not inside of them and cannot feel their suffering..

we can as you say try to remind ourselves to set personal boundaries ...this eventually becomes a natural human response..

I think if this question on this thread was posed to an audience without mental health affecting them be it their own or that of others they care for...the answers would be more generalised...

I read on someone's post earlier today a response that gave me a light bulb moment...do you think that I can remember it now! I did say moment! drat..

I shall return if it comes to me when I stop trying to remember..foggy mind..

Your most welcome @Former-Member.  I had a very similar experience to you years ago (it was frightening) - we were so fortunate to have gotten out of it when we did. Yes we are talking about the same things.... And I understand what you mean about it driving you to stand up for things that you feel strongly about - that's really important I feel and I am the same. I always enjoy talking with you as we have so many life experiences in common and it feels good when people can relate. Thank you 💗

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance