Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Queenie
Community Elder

Have I been done like a dinner?

I was informed today that I am ineligible for NDIS services. I am therefore being exited from support services within 2 months and have no more face to face appointments (only two more telephone calls once a month). I have lost access to respite, so unless I become really ill and require hospitalisation, I have no more support in the community whatsoever. I feel really let down. I have nobody to help me either by way of an advocate (I wouldn't even know where to find one or how I will pay for it as I am broke). 

I figure what is the bloody point of trying anymore? I was guaranteed support by the hospital social worker in order to link me in with services to help me. Upon discharge, I never heard from her again and I had to do all the hard work all myself. That was 18 months ago. Probably because I was self-advocating, I didn't get great service at all, in fact it was less than satisfactory with sometimes two to two and a half months between appointments. 

All today I've just been 'existing' and not 'living'. I guess I'll be doing this for a while as I get used to the fact that in reality, as far as the government is concerned, I'm on my own. I could appeal, but what is the point really? The services which were supposed to support me in my application to the NDIA didn't do that at all. I give up. I want to cry over it but I just feel so crap that the tears won't fall. I went to therapy (which I pay for out of my own pocket at $200 an hour) last night and didn't find it at all helpful. The psychologist tried to hypnotise me and failed. It was money I couldn't afford down the drain. 

I feel like I've been done like a dinner. I feel so let down. 

Today was a day I'd rather forget.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Have I been done like a dinner?

Wow @Queenie that is so challenging, I am really sorry to hear you found out today you are not eligible for NDIS services. This system change has meant a lot of change for a lot of people. It sounds like this news has been a huge shock today that has left you as you say feeling just 'existing'. I'm glad to hear you have your psychologist still, even though it is a huge expense and doesn't always comfort you at the time.

It sounds to me like tonight might be a good night to vent and then take good care of yourself, what does that look like for you? Again very sorry about this bad news.

Hi @Queenie, we've yet to start jumping through NDIS hurdles. Just a few thoughts on support. 1. Can you find bulk-billing psychiatrist and/or psychologist support? Both have been very helpful in our case. 2. Lodge an NDIS decision appeal anyway, keep at them. 3. Is your local MP able to advocate on your behalf? Wishing you a better day tomorrow.

Thanks for replying @Tortoiseshell and @patientpatient. I do have access to a bulk-billing psychiatrist but he doesn't offer therapy and I only see him four times a year for a 20 minute review each time. My psychologist used to be under a mhcp and I was under the impression she still is, until I received the bill at the end of last night's session. I queried it, only to be told the practice no longer bulk bills. I haven't wold the Mrs yet about the cost, but I am feeling it as it means I can't pay my credit card bill this month and will be hit with a fee. 

I just feel so overwhelmed right now and I feel like all the fight has gone out of me. I guess it is time to pretend I can pull my socks up and carry on like I did before I had a life changing mental health diagnosis. I feel like crying but just can't (mainly because I am sitting less than a foot away from people and don't want to make a fool of myself). I'm tired of constantly having to prove my 'illness' rather than focusing on getting well. It's a pretty screwy system if you ask me.

@Queenie Hi Queenie so sorry to hear about NDIS but am not surprised. You really have to be screaming, climbing up walls during the interviews I bet before they take you seriously. Having an advocate is almost essential I believe having fought systems like this for my son for years.  The budget has blown out and people with mis are going to suffer. and that is the bottom dollar.

Go to your local member as patientopatient suggested is a good idea but honestly there is no money in the kitty so to speak plus we have a liberal government. Maybe things will change once shorten gets in who knows probably not.

@Queenie. So sorry to hear about the NDIS saying you are not eligible. I think you need time to have a whinge and a good scream about the unfairness of it all.
Then in a few days, or maybe a few weeks, you will find the energy to fight. I'd suggest asking for a review of the denial. I've heard many people who were first denied have been successful on review.
I wonder if your wife could be your advocate. Is that a possibility?
Otherwise, maybe a local support group might be able to help find you an advocate.
But tonight and tomorrow, try to find a safe place where you can cry and rage against the unfairness of it all.

Hi @Queenie, so sorry this has happened. Just letting you know I'm hearing you too. Hugs. Heart

Oh no Queenie, I'm sending lots of good thoughts your way.   I applied for the NDIS at the end of January and am still waiting to hear if I've been accepted or not.    I'm so worried about losing my support people that I have, if I lose them I will have noone at all.  My carer rang the NDIS last Thursday and we were told they'd decide within the next 2 months. If I lose him, I have noone.

I'm sure I read somewhere that people who aren't approved for the NDIS are automatically eligible for an advocate.  This page might have some helpful info for you.  https://ndis.gov.au/participants/making-decisions-about-support/ndap

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance