Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Miss_Anonymous
Casual Contributor

Gambling addiction

Since I have been on my medication for schizophrenia, I have found that, I  have develop an obsession with online gambling, has anyone had similar experiences or advice?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Gambling addiction

Hi @Miss_Anonymous welcome to the forums, there can often be a link between different mental health issues and addiction, and I know many have experienced that. Glad you have reached out for support, I am sure you will find its a supportive environment with great knowledge and experiences to be shared. All the best and once again welcome

Hi @Miss_Anonymous ,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I have not personally developed any addictions/obsessions living with my depression, but I have a friend who did with alcohol. I'm wondering what the impact of online gambling has had on you?

Heart from cloudcore

Hi @Miss_Anonymous ,

I have heard of this happening with some medications used to treat schizophrenia. I've not had it happen myself- I am treated for schizoaffective disorder- but I used to have a big problem with gambling, mainly pokies. But that pre-dated this current diagnosis and treatment, and is thankfully well behihnd me now.

Not sure of advice, but wanted to reassure you that you are not alone. This forum is a good environment for support and info, I have found.

Have you spoken about this with your mental health supports, if you have them?

Hi @Miss_Anonymous - gambling addiction is a side effect of some schizophrenia medications.  Have you asked your pharmacist or psychiatrist if that is the case with your medication?

What kinds of supports do you have access to?

I spoke with my doctor ( the one who is my current treating doctor at mental health centre) and she said she never heard of it.

@Miss_Anonymous 

How is this going?

Terrible still.

Hey @Miss_Anonymous I'm sorry to hear that this is continuing to impact you so much. If you feel it would help to chat about what's going on for you, I'm here to listen.

@Miss_Anonymous 

Bugger

Wish I had more advice. Here if you want to talk about it

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance