Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Kyle1
Senior Contributor

Free Falling

This is day 3 without anxiety medication. I have been experiencing insomnia, and feeling very 'jumpy': hyper alert. I am forcing myself to barge through it, because I have appointments and appearances that I can not postpone. I've also tried, these past few days, self medicating a little with alcohol. I am aware of the inherent risks that come along with that, though I feel it is the most accessible option available, unfortunately. (I rarely enjoy the stuff, to be honest).

At my GP's recommendation I did finally have a consultation with a clinical psychologist, whom I have seen numerous times before. He assured me there was no psychological gimmick (quote, unquote) that he could offer to relieve my symptoms, and encouraged me back to my GP for continued tranquillisers.

That is another thing I rarely enjoy, but have found it necessary and beneficial none the less. Problem is, one can become dependant on this medicine, and both I and my GP are wary of that... Infact, I may already have developed such dependance - which could explain my insomnia...

So why don't I just return to my GP and ask for a renewed prescription? I am fortunate enough that I can get in to see her just about anytime I want, afterall...

Well, I hesitate to return and ask for more medication because I fear I might frustrate and disappoint her. 

She has been really generous and good to me. I don't want to let her down.

So I am become Don Quixotie, out here fighting the windmills of my mind. To be fair, though, my challenges are not merely conflated circumstance. I do have actual issues. I think I've mentioned before...recently being diagnosed a brain tumor... Family separation... DV... Trauma... Homelessness... Now a single parent of three... Legal matters... Unemployment...  All entirely new to me.

Still, my people-pleasing tendency is off the Richter scale at this stage... Yet without thoughts of others to fill my heart I am in a terrifying free fall. What's with that?? ....

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Free Falling

Just a quick hello, @Kyle1. I hope you're getting a little relief from all of the trauma. If you want to go off anxiety medication, can you just try reducing it a little for a while? I'm very anti-medication, but there are times when it is necessary. 

Hey @Historylover 

Yes, I've been told by a number of different people to wean off, but I've already run out of the stuff now... 

I'll see how I go over the next hour or so as to whether I take myself to the Dr before the weekend... I've been up since 3am feeling very tense and severe butterflies. But I haven't collapsed into tears yet - which, strange to say,  is an improvement.

I hope you're doing OK, too..💚🙏

@Kyle1, I don't know much about your situation but I am surmising that your life has undergone a change of direction that it is causing you a lot of anxiety. If so, that applies to my life too. @Kyle1, do you have ways of rebuilding your life? Do you have distractions that take your mind off your problems? They are essential. Do you read, like to build things, swim, bike ride, garden, play any sport. 

For me, there are many days when I seriously consider withdrawing from my study course, but when I am immersed in it, all my worries melt away for a time. When I started the course, I used to cry while I was doing my assignments and couldn't disconnect from my problems even for a time. They are still part of my thought processes but just not quite as much as they used to be.

I'm doing alright at this very moment, @Kyle1. I hope you are too, and that you have a nice day.

Thank you for sharing @Historylover  - if I can say so...

Yes, I have tried to get engaged with things; like my guitar, or writing, or even cooking and inevitably wind up weeping to a halt. At this stage I don't know which is worse: the preceeding anxiety, or the assured blue dump truck coming round the corner? Or yet the whole mangled dynamic...

I may get somewhere with counselling, I'm hoping, once I have the chance to gain some momentum with it.

Hi @Kyle1 

Have you had an 'luck' getting into a counsellor? Sorry you're feeling so low and engaging with activities doesn't seem to help. 

Sitting with you

Hanami

thanks @hanami 

Yes, there have been cancellations this week and I got the call... it's a beginning!. 

Words are great, aren't they? I love what we can do with them. Do try to engage with whatever you like to do, @Kyle1. Just work through the anxiety as best you can. You'll get better and better at it. 🌞

That's good @Kyle1 . Take the small wins. And yes it's a beginning 💛

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance