Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Bridgetjones
Senior Contributor

Feeling disturbed by suicide

A few weeks ago a family friends son ended his life at the age of 44. Im feeling disturbed by it and finding it hard to get it out of my mind. I just have memories of him as a child as he was a year younger than me. Hadnt seen him for many years. I guess it has triggered me as Ive been in that horrible dark place where suicide is such a tempting solution to my problems. This childhood friends suicide has made me realise that suicide is not a solution. Im a sensitive person and the horrible details of this guys untimely death is going around in my head.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Feeling disturbed by suicide

Suicide is disturbing. It is a shocking sudden death.  We can never know how far its reverberations reach ... with all the degrees of separation and closeness human societies share.  It is why I battle against doing it myself, even though I understand the urge.  It causes so many problems.  

Sorry you are dealing with this currently. @Bridgetjones Be gentle with yourself as you, integrate what happened, but might need to distract a bit too, to be able to focus on daily life in the now.

@PeppiPatty had a similar recent experience with a family friends' loss of a child.  

The stats are rising.  As a society we have solved so many physical problems, but not this.

It is so sad and needs to be understood.

Heart

Thanks for your reply @Appleblossom. good advice. Im trying to imagine him being in a better place.

Thats what I had to do with my brother .. imagine him in a better place .. as the reality was too horrible to contemplate .. if it hangs around too long .. and his memory becomes unwelcome to you .. then it becomes an INTRUSIVE thought and deal with it as such.

Keep your own good reasons for doing things going strong.

Gentleigh Bentleigh @Bridgetjones

Hello @Bridgetjones

I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your friends son. It sounds like it has really affected you and brought up some personal things within yourself, which is completely understandable. It is heart breaking to know that suicide has been increasing and people still continue to not feel heard, or feel they are a burden to others.

Please look after yourself and keep sharing your thoughts and feelings with us, thinking of you.

Lunar

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance