Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jman
New Contributor

Father not acting right after recent events in the family, I don't know what to do

Hello everyone,

My father has been an alchoholic for all of my life, and would deny any assistance or help from anyone or even the fact that he does have the problem. He has been going through a very on and off relationship with my mother and in the past year my mother made the descision to break things off completely. Recently when dropping off my sister, my father caught glimpse of my mothers new boyfriend and following that, one of his friends had recently died due to COVID19. 

He went through a severe depression following suit. I tried to be supportive and available, but am not able to see him as regularly as i would like. Earlier this week, he came to my place claiming that he found a device that would take control of his body and force him to do a sort of "work out", tensing different parts of his body in a rythm. He then explained that he gained the ability to control this work out, and was able to do these things without the device. We then tried to make the device work on myself with no results. After a couple hours he went home and i tossed the event up to him trying to play a prank. 

Today he showed up unanounced, with the realisation that the device had implanted an Artificial Inteligence, and proceded to try make predictions using it. He said that it could control his arm and it would communicate via writing (This AI was aparently the "work out" devices script). This is when i realised that it could be a mental episode, but not to upset him or break his trust i played along and we tried once more to make the device work. 
All the while he would comunicate with this AI and give me further instructions on how to make the "installation" successful.

I am very concerned for him and am unsure of what to do. 
I want to get him help without scaring him and stating to him that he is not being sane.

What steps can i take?

How should i act when he next shows up?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Father not acting right after recent events in the family, I don't know what to do

Hi @Jman ,

I'm Radius, one of the moderators here. Thanks for reaching out to us here on the forums. Sounds like a really concerning time fore yourself and confusing time for your dad. I hope other members will jump in and offer some guidance and support. However in the meantime please feel free to reach out and speak to one of our Help Center Counsellor. You can reach them between Monday and Friday 10am-10pm on 1800 18 7263 (SANE).
Please take care and reach out if you need to,

Radius

Re: Father not acting right after recent events in the family, I don't know what to do

You need Al-Anon, It is a worldwide fellowship.

Put that in a search engine and it will take you to the website. It doesn't cost anything .. ever,

Somehow recovery for families is seen as unimportant.  No resource without people with loved ones who are alcoholics can help.  If your loved one got into recovery tomorrow you would still need to recover from the years of living with him.

Please go It has changed my life for the better and my sober alcoholic child and I have a much better relationship.  I wish I knew about it many years ago when my father died from alcoholism.

Many long term alcoholics get what used to be called wet brain.

You are not at fault.   You need support.  Until you get support for you, you won't be able to help much.

Take care,

Nora

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance