Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

The-red-centaur
Senior Contributor

Facing court (tw)

I'm due to face court soon for when I was sexually assaulted at the beginning of the year.

Does anyonehave any suggestions on managing triggerers and anxiety leading up to and during the case. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Facing court (tw)

@The-red-centaur  Hey The-red-centaur I am no good at coping with triggers etc. I just wanted to wish you luck and let you know that I and everyone here on the forum will be thinking of you. Take good care of yourself. Love peaxxx

@The-red-centaur, I don't know how to manage it, but, maybe you could make a list of questions that you think your going to be asked and work out how you will respond and prepare yourself a little that way.  Try and take a few deep breaths after each question and that should help compose yourself. 

Do you have some support to help you now and during the case?  Admire your courage for doing what you are.  Wishing you all the best with it.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi!

In our area we have volunteers called “friends in court”. Maybe try google to see if they are in your area @The-red-centaur 

I did the course for it years ago, but never felt up to doing the volunteering. (Life took over). 

The volunteers are trained a little in counselling and are there for support. I hope they are in your area. 

Try deep breathing and changing thoughts. When an anxious thought comes in your mind. Try saying something simple/positive (even though it’s the last thing you feel like doing). It sometimes helps break the anxious thoughts. Not so easy at times. But with practice, it helps. 

Lately I say, I let that go. 

All the best. Take care. 

I totally understand how difficult it must feel for you. 

🌷🌸🌺

@The-red-centaur   I just wanted to say how very brave you are.  I have no ideas on how to manage triggers and anxiety - I can’t even muster up the courage to go to the police.

I wish you all the best. ❤️❤️

Hi @The-red-centaur

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I cannot help you with triggers, but about 3 weeks ago my daughter was sexually assulted and we are at the beginning of the process with her. I'm not sure which state you are in, but I know where we are we have Court Compainions, which can be accessed through the victim support service. Also remember when you are in court - at any point, you can ask for a break. You can ask for just about anything to make your experience easier. The defendant cannot... you are in control now. If you need a break ask for it. And please, please if you don't have some support with you, talk to your Police victims support officer and they can organise something for you! I hope it all goes well, and I will be thinking of you! 

The day before we were due to face court he pled guilty.

That's really huge. How are you feeling @The-red-centaur

I'm disappointed with his sentence but I'm also glad he's going to jail

Thinking of you @The-red-centaur x

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance