Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Difference between hallucinations and dreams

Hi All,

How do I know whether a realistic nightmare is a hallucination or just a dream? Is it always a dream when its night time? I rarely see or sense things during the day, and I hear no voices (apart from the ones debating with each other in my head).

What's the difference? I can swear some of the stuff is real (at least for me) Thanks heaps!
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Difference between hallucinations and dreams

Hi @Former-Member,

My understanding is that nightmares occur when you are asleep, whereas hallucinations occur when you are awake. You can also have hallucinations in a semi-conscious state while falling asleep/waking up.

Have you spoken to your treating team about this issue?

Hope this helps.

Shimmer Smiley Happy

Hi @Shimmer

Thanks for your reply, haven't talked to them yet, feels like just another thing to add to the inventory... I'm okay at the moment as the meds knock me out at night.

Hey @Former-Member, I'm very interested in that too, at times it seems I'm awake in bed and see these strange things very occasionally, have never used any kind of hallucinogen so that possibility is discounted, and for that reason I think it would be wise for people like us to stay away from such things, not that I'm suggesting that possibility in your case. Have even told my spouse what I was seeing as I was seeing it at one point, it's certainly an interesting phenomenon if a little disturbing at the time, but given it's not happened in any other settings I'm just putting the possible implications out of my mind for now lol. I'd be interested to hear what you see though if you're comfortable sharing that in this setting?

Hi @Shazab

I'm with you and I never took drugs. My hallucinations / nightmares were worst during childhood, but I still sometimes have them. They are usually horrifying and I cannot put that down to ever watching a scary movie (as all my life I had enough horror shows to last me a life time!). Some are tied to real life events, some are just weird like seeing ghosts. What scares me is that I am stuck in that scene, i feel, smell, hear, see what is happening. I feel the aftermath all day after as I usually do not sleep afterward.

I can't really explain it. I think this far down the journey I would just like to find out if this is all tied to my trauma and a normal reaction or what else it is? I've been too worried to mention this to the psych yet, as I thought it's like hearing voices, but I learnt that there is some time between waking and sleeping that can be different to dreaming, so I hope it's just that. I think what scares me more than what the psych might think, is that it actually happens...

By talking to 1 or 2 people I am starting to think this isn't that uncommon but what you're describing could certainly be disturbing at the time, I hope you find a resolution, think we're both glad it doesn't happen so often though
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance