Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

KM75
Casual Contributor

Diagnosis or stability

My husband has had depression (and I think anxiety issues) for many years.
He has been on antidepressants for longer than the ten plus years we have been together. Mostly life goes along ok, with a few intense episodes per year or so of unwellness, some worse than others. Every few years seems to have serious episodes. Ocaissionally we have had conversations about whether it is more than straight depression - both he and myself and a few other family members have wondered whether he has bipolar...
My question is whether it is worth the whole uphill battle etc to try and find a clearer / better diagnosis and talk about review of medication etc or just that our current management is not working. Or should I just work on getting back to stability and the fact it works for us most of the time. Survive this current episode and try and get some normality back.
Is it going to make any real difference even if we did have a different diagnosis or will it just be same crap different name, no difference in management anyway...
We have a GP appointment in a week so just trying to work out a plan...

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Diagnosis or stability

Hi KM75,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post. I think it is so important with any illness to get a accurate diagnosis so that the treatment is specific and targeted. I have spoken to people with mental illness who have not had a review of their plan for several years and feel that they are not making progress or slipping backwards.

Once again, welcome and take care,

Durango. 

Hi @KM75

It sounds like your husband is doing relatively well!

The best advice I can give is to go ahead with your GP appointment and hear them out. They aren't going to force you to change medication and it may be good to hear out their thoughts.

Another thing worth thinking about is that medication isn't the only form of treatment. Perhaps seeing a psychologist on a semi - regular basis will help from a prevention point of view (whether he has the bipolar diagnosis or not).

I would take what is working well for you both forward with you, be open to hearing options and perhaps put some preventative measures in place (ie: seeing a psychologist - even when he's well etc).

Keep us updated!

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @KM75,

You do sound from your post like you have the experience to know that something is not right. If your partner is up for it and you have confidence in your doctor I would think that is the first person to talk to about this. 

Also I am not sure if you are aware that the Black Dog Institute have a self test for Bipolar on the website. That might be worth having a look at.

cheers,

carer101.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance