Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

DrTim
New Contributor

Depressed teenage son

Hi there, and thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide

I have a 17 year old son who's recently begun to experience quite severe depression. For the last few days he's been unable to get up or basically, do anything

My wife and I have tried multiple times to help in multiple ways; with little success

He won't try anything or say anything (so we don't even really know what's going on)

Any advice? recommendations? I'm in Sydney, Australia so... any suggestions for services that might help? 

thanks in advance 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Depressed teenage son

@DrTim Hi DrTim and welcome I have a daughter with chronic depression and when she was a teenager she was the same as your son unable to do much and would sleep all the time and never leave her room etc. The best thing I can advise is to get a good psychologist who your son would see preferably weekly at the beginning of the getting well process. Maybe a good anti depressant from your gp would help (my daughter is one meds and they have really helped her mood). It has taken a few years now for her to slowly get back to her normal self so dont expect instant changes these things take time weeks and months sometimes. Just give your son gnetle encouragement to do activities like exercise, family outings, meeting up with friends etc. but make sure it is positive all the way. I hope this helps. greenpeax

Re: Depressed teenage son

thanks very much for the support / advice. Greatly appreciated
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance