Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: D.I.D....

@Smc  🙏

Smc
Senior Contributor

Older Daughter is "so far so good". Time will tell.
She has a great deal of trouble eating shared meals, and the house has one shared meal a week on Fridays. She didn't manage to eat the dinner, despite it being a favourite of hers, but she coped with having some of the sticky date pudding they had for dessert. She did really try by the sound of it, so next week, she gets to try again. And repeat it until it's not a problem anymore- I hope.

Smc
Senior Contributor

So after a few very unsettling days, Mum is back in the aged care home.
I'm relieved that she's recovered enough that we're probably not looking at a Christmastime funeral. But at the same time aware that every such medical incident weakens her.
Still tense and edgy. Having a semi-relaxing day today, maybe tomorrow I can start thinking in terms of Christmas stuff again. I do look forward to an excuse to celelbrate with our family, but the rest of life doesn't seem inclined to leave spaces for anything so "frivolous". Smiley Frustrated

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Smc 

Trust you find some joy in the frivolous today 😁🎄.

Smc
Senior Contributor

Am so hoping we're not seeing the same pattern with our Older Daughter re-establishing on a bigger scale.

She spent last night in hospital with a persistent "migraine". It didn't respond to medications that are usually effective on migraines, so they did a CAT scan to check for other possibilities.... that came back clear, so now she's been sent home, but referred for an MRI.

And instead of a regional base hospital, it's a major city hospital, one of the ones that get the urgent trauma patients... All in all, yeah, scaling up. 😞

Meanwhile, we're sitting back here unsurprised that the scan came back clear, and 99% positive that the medication didn't work because physical medicine has very limited efficacy with pain that is psychological in origin...

Former-Member
Not applicable

Checking in @Smc 

Smc
Senior Contributor

Ta @Former-Member.

Quiet-ish here? Older Daughter has been phoning frequently, often about little things. There's a house pre-Christmas get together at her new place tomorrow evening, and it's due to be really hot, so we'll head down on the train. The car would overheat on a trip like that, particularly when traffic slows to a crrawl through the city block stretch. Trains will be on a hot day timetable, because they'll have to travel slower than usual. We'll be going the oppposite way to the rush hour pack, so hoping it won't be too crowded.

Younger Daughter has officially passed Yr.9. By the skin of her teeth, but she did it. Really pleased with her, because to do so meant getting past the anxiety "brain blanks" she's been battling with.

Older Son seems to be settling in to having a house to himself OK. Older Daughter's housemoving surplus is still out in the lounge area, but has been moved aside to give him adequate space. We need to make sure that's properly sorted out.

Younger Son is back home after a self funded overseas holiday. Well... largely self funded. He overspent and had to borrow some from us. 😛 Easily enough done when working with unfamiliar currency and conversion rates... he's reliable about paying back money borrowed, and only does so on rare occasions, so I'm OK with that.

No new-news re.Mum. I need to get to phoning her someday soon.

We're tired and still dealing with backlash stress and anxiety... slowly settling back to a semi-equilibrium, and trying to be kind to ourselves in the meantime.

Smc
Senior Contributor

Older Daughter's place at the shared house has fallen through. She was leaning on the house manager for support too much, and last night's ambulance with police in attendance due to SH/harm to others?? risk was a dealbreaker. Particularly since it followed on from several other hospital emergency presentations- those ones not SH related, but still indicitave of her being "high maintenance"; and they're not set up to provide that level of care. And it creates a stressful environment for the other tenants, which is very undesirable.

So sadly, our "wait and see" approach has come back with a negative result. She'll be heading out on the train later today with a suitcase of immediate needs, we'll meet her at this end and take her back to the unit she's shared with her brother... and we won't be traveling down tonight now, but will need to do a car and trailer run next week to collect all her things. At least the weather will have cooled down to manageable by then.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Smc 

I know you suspected that things would not work out.

Sadly not an easy situation for all involved.  You will no doubt  hear in due course whether or not the other house members were scared because of the SH or if there was a perceived or real threat.  

Smc
Senior Contributor

She's come home feeling like "a failure". Which has led to a SH/SA. So she's now at the local hospital for repairs. 😞

So many toxic thought patterns to break. Hard to know where she should start.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance