Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Changing meds

Hi @NatureLover 

How was your day?

I managed to get to the dog park and enjoy some

sumshine.  A bit unsettled about the further restrictions announced for Victoria for the next 6 weeks at least though.  It'll be a hard slog for a lot of us.

I reached out to someone who helped me in the past, around my concerns of my upcoming psych appt on Wednesday & the medication he wants me to take.  Their advice supported my concerns of this new family of antidepressants, and gave me an idea of what to ask for. 

Fingers crossed my psych doesn't react badly to me asking what I'd like to be prescribed...and rejecting the TSA.

I don't care atm, as I feel so much calmer now having made the decision of how I'd like to proceed.

Hi @WIP , I'm also now in Stage 4 restrictions in Melbourne...so I will be thinking of you over the next 6 weeks. I'm glad you managed to get out in the sunshine yesterday and go to the dog park, yay!

I'm glad you feel calmer about how to proceed...good luck with asking your psych. 

I hope today goes OK for you...

Thanks @NatureLover 

I slept alright last night, but woke very very anxious. First thought was about telling my psych how I WANT to proceed. I'm imagining that he's not going to appreciate me going against his suggestions.

Them I thought of another 6 weeks at least of these new restrictions.....it's going to be very tough. I'm appreciative though that we are still able to go outside for some exercise. So, on the days that I'm up to it, I'll take Levi out.

I just have to push my worry and anxiety about Wednesday's appointment to the side. I'm made a decision and stick to it. Just focus on getting through this washout period and hope/pray that the med I've selected (one I was in years and years ago & was quite effective at the time) will work again.

I hope today goes well for you too. Enjoy the sun, if it comes out.

Sorry to hear about your high levels of anxiety today, @WIP . At least that's good news about your good night's sleep.

That's good that you had a med years ago that worked...good luck.

I'm not sure we'll get much sun today, but am waiting for it to go out! 

Hi @Owlunar @Shine32 

How things?  Just wondering how your med changes are going?

I'm struggling a bit today and just wanted to reach out.  Thanks.

Trying to be hopeful, but it's challenging when thoughts are so dark and negative.  What kept you guys going?

@Zoe7 @BPDSurvivor 

What kept me going @WIP was the support I received - both from here and irl - and my fur babies. I had amazing support from several members here ...day and night and they kept me going when I had no hope and no desire to keep going myself. That continued connection was invaluable in both allowing me to talk about what was going on as well as keeping my head just above water.

In real life I had constant support from my GP, psych and pdoc also - seeing one of them every day and knowing also they were only a phonecall or text away. I would hear from or see my GP everyday and that actually helped me get from day to day.

It was not a good time in my life - and I too did not care if I was here or not - so that support (particularly from the forum) certainly kept me alive.

Hi @Zoe7 @WIP @NatureLover @Eve7 @BPDSurvivor 

I was taking a very strong pain killer and this was replaced with a stronger one that was some kind of twilight zone experience

My specialiast suggested I take less of the new medication and I was able to stop it - and I haven't replace the first medication - so I chose to endure the pain which is not something I would ask someone else to endure

Since I had my procedure for pain management last week my pain is very low and I am taking far less medication than before the exacerbation of shoulder pain when I tripped and fell back in May - and I hope to get off the medication entirely - though this will take time

So - my suggestion when changing or stopping medication is to speak to your doctors and do what they suggest - medications for mental illness as for pain should not be stopped suddenly and not without medical support

But yes - I feel much better now

Dec

Keeping COVID-safeKeeping COVID-safe

Thanks @Zoe7 

I'll keep reaching out here for support.

Unfortunately, I don't have a very helpful medical support team - my GP pushes me back to my psychiatrist, my psychiatrist isn't available via email or text, I'm lucky he is fitting me in tomorrow for an appointment; usually it's every 4 to 6 weeks to see him, as he only sees outpatients on Wednesday mornings, and I didn't rebook with my psychotherapist after my last session 3 weeks ago, because she was causing damage with her 'tough love' approach.

I'm in need of a new psychiatrist and psychologist, but they are difficult to get into and secondly, it's hit and miss as to if you find a helpful one or not. I have to keep seeing my current psychiatrist while swapping meds, but don't have any other medical support which makes me feel very let down.

Lucky I've got little Levi to get cuddles from.

I'm really happy for you @Owlunar that you are feeling better and your pain has decreased.  Good for you! Smiley Happy

Thank you @Owlunar  I am really struggling with meds right now so it’s good to read your advice.

😖

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance