Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Calling helplines

I call helplines a lot - Sane, Beyond Blue, Lifeline and Blue Knot.  I am an annoying repeat caller and they must all be sick of hearing from me.  I've been calling them a lot for the past 18 mths because I've been having a lot of bullying and harassment.  Years ago I used to call Lifeline every single day on my way home from work to debrief my stressful day.  Last year, I called Beyond Blue or Lifeline almost every morning on my way to work as I was suicidal.  I usually didn't tell them I was suicidal but I was.  I was trying to decide if I would quit my job or suicide.  I ended up quitting my job.  I am annoyed with Beyond Blue because the last two times I have called I told them I got legal advice about the harassment and was told there was nothing I could do as there had been no threats.  Both times, the phone counsellor tried to tell me that I could get an order.  Both times I told them I had spoken to a lawyer and was told I couldn't.  They are not lawyers yet they argued with me.  It was really irritating.

Does anyone else have that experience of phone counsellors trying to give advice about things out of their area of expertise?  I was really frustrated and ended the calls.

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Calling helplines

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. I call LifeLine almost everyday on my lunch break. I try not to, but I feel so bleak and suicidal I feel I must do *something* and the only thing I can think of is to call.

I've found BeyondBlue to be really rough actually. They are by far the most argumentative and to be honest I don't like them. Eg: when I say that I don't find medication very effective for my condition they will argue against that. IMHO they're just there to refer you to professionals on their list. It's annoying because they take up a good chunk of funding for something anyone could just Google and they can can be a bit rude about it. They do have some excellent counsellors, but not many.

But to answer your question: no not really. I have had a couple of people tell me I should go to church, but that's it. 

Hi @Former-Member 

It can be tough - I know - I have to deal with difficult life-issues in the past -that's life I guess - and sometimes we just want to talk about it - sometimes people don't have the time.

Which is not your fault at all.

I don't think I have spoken with Beyond Blue - I might have in the past and been told they would ring back in 48 hours if I would like that - I didn't and don't - so that's one down.

Two - I do ring Blue Knot sometimes and this is for the Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse - and I am. We are entitled to - the last I rang - 45 minutes per week - that is their limit - I respect that - and they are good listeners - if you are an Adult Survivor of Childhood Abuse then you are entitled to that space during working hours - if they are busy then weekend or evening calls will ask for a message to call back.

Childhood abuse can be anything - e.g. - in my case a humiliating and sometimes violent mother - people who were sexually abused as children are accepted too.

Lifeline - I do ring Lifeline from time to time - before I pick up the phone I think about the topic bothering me and stick to that - trying to cover more than a couple of things in the one short conversation is a lot or work. I have had excellent results from Lifeline - try again and keep the problems few for that short time - and ring back with another one later if necessary.

I don't think they are sick of you calling - perhaps being appropriate with your first comments would help - I would advocate for Lifeline - 

Also - this seems like a footnote - the lines you have been ringing are not an emergency service - and here this is a peer support group - 

It seems you have had along term shadow haunting  you - maybe a visit to your GP for a Mental Health Plan would be useful - I am seeking that route - there is no shame. When you need help - you need help -

All the best

Owlunar

You've already quit so this probably won't help. There is the Fair Work Commission that does get involved with workplace bullying. They aim to resolve incidents of bullying in the workplace so it doesn't happen again. I'm not sure how effective they are but they do exist for this purpose.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member 

I agree 100%

What we have to realise is many who take calls are volunteers.

I used to get upset because they were not qualified to give advice like getting orders.

I also am a regular caller to vent.

My suggestion is before the call realise the person may not suit you.

Either say this call is not helping and call 10 mjnutes later or tell them

Even on this forum you may not agree with all including me.

But remember, we are empathetic and try.

Not all advice suits everyone.

It may work for some and not others.

Good luck and call them back if not happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Jlol @Former-Member @tSeFcu5sb5fXdF9  @Owlunar 

I agree. Beyond Blue are not good for me.

Lifeline is excellent.

But 1% give bad advice.

Take it on the chin.

Do not worry

Call Lifeline back and get someone else

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Owlunar  @Former-Member 

I support owlunars advice

Life line will never tire of you.

I also write notes to stay on track of reason l called.

Something usually triggers it.

Sane forums are good

Do not give up on lifeline

Thanks @Former-Member 

I rang Lifeline myself this evening - and it was very helpful - 

When they ask what they can do to help - I just came straight in with the main reason - and it was really good

Go Lifeline - be in Team Lifeline - mostly it works.

Owlunar

That's such refreshing feedback @Owlunar @Former-Member .

I often hear how 'useless' Lifeline is, but it is certainly refreshing to hear the other side.

How I see it is that they are doing their best. For them to service Australia wide is not an easy task. Good on them - volunteers and all.

Thanks @tyme 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance