Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

2qwerty
Senior Contributor

Back to work again, against my will?

On Friday work put out another email about how important our clients are, and how their needs should be our priority, rah rah. So, they want people back in the office again, after one week of away time due to a known case visiting the workplace. They haven't even provided updates on the health of the individual who was primarily exposed to them. I don't think I can cope with being out in the world again, on buses and trains and...out there, let alone at work.  

They required us to respond "Immediately" with concerns, but it's taken me until now to actually process the chunks of text and the potential complications ahead. Anything I say or express just sounds dramatic and sooky. 

I can't source a mask fast enough, I don't have anything to make my own and I'm due back on Tuesday. Sure eventually I will, but the thought of a cloth mask triggers OCD issues for me (washing and storing it correctly, only getting so many uses out of it, probably infecting myself USING the mask anyway.) Everything i've read says not to store a mask in your bag, it'll contaiminate other things, so how tf do I take it off in the office? I don't? Every time I find a chemist warehouse, or Officeworks stock of disposables, I click confirm and they're immediately sold out. People say, just go to pharmacy, just go to Aldi...I don't want to go outside at all? I'm trying to get something delivered, here, not cuddle with 50 strangers. 

It's escalating way further than it did when I was actually working from home, but now I feel like if I do somehow successfully request to stay home, I am only further inconveniencing my coworkers and putting further pressure on them. They may say yes out of obligation, but then seethe at my disappearance. The email states the people remaining in the march-may closures were overworked and it wasn't fair. A few people have quit since that all hit the fan.

If they determine we are not 100% efficient at home AND we don't want to attend work, they will cut our hours and pay. I'm wondering if I would fall into that category, but I mostly doubt it. Either way I look like a bad person protecting myself, or sacrifice my wellbeing and that of my family to further benefit the business who has decided we don't function as a full team at home. 

Also I have just recieved word that my father in law who has stage 4 cancer needs to visit every now and then so he can be local to medical care, and my husband has said we'll likely need to work from home while he visits to limit his exposure. I haven't even processed how i'd explain that and whether i'd make matters worse for him. I don't even know the next time he will be here, and how to negotiate that. 

I'm so sick of people saying "we've been through this before" and "if we all do the right thing, there's no risk" I still have to spend ten hours a week on public transport, all of these people spouting nonsense get to sit in their cars for the leisurely trip to their desk. It's absurd. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Back to work again, against my will?

@2qwerty  You’ve certainly have got a lot to deal with. I think there is so much uncertainty about so many things.

I hadn’t thought of how you would store a mask, ( once you find one ). It goes to show that the simple things, are just not that simple.

I’m also sorry your father in law  is so unwell, and that adds another layer of problems to your already heavy load.

I don’t think it’s inappropriate for you to state your case. Your opinion is as good as any other. Your health, and the health of your family is at risk. 

I really am sorry you are going through all this. Take care where you can. Sending some 💞💞💞

Hi @2qwerty , you're definitely between a rock and a hard place. I don't envy you your difficult decision. 

Regarding masks, I have germophobia so these questions take up a large space in my mind. I would make a mask out of a scarf, if you haven't got one and you do decide to go back to your workplace... I would also go to a chemist on my way to work and try to buy disposable masks. Then, if you have to store it in your bag, I would take a plastic sandwich bag or two in my bag, to put the mask in, with a twist tie to seal it. You could also put a few disposable gloves in your bag, to handle the mask with. If all you can get hold of are cloth masks at first, you could try to get a few of them so that you could wash and disinfect them each time you wear one. That's just what I would do, anyway.

I actually don't think it's unreasonable for you to request to work from home, given that it hasn't yet been 14 days since your workplace was exposed, and also your father-in-law will be visiting regularly. 

Good luck working it all out...sending best wishes. 

Thanks, I've decided to send through my comments to the manager and appeal to them about the possibility of limiting my travel to work. 

It's too much, everything is too much. It blows my mind that they'd anticipate total focus and efficiency after getting me and others all the way there. 

@2qwerty  Just looking at the time you posted, says to me you have agonised over this decision.

I think you have made the right choice. I don’t know if you have sent through your comments yet, which are very reasonable. Maybe now, it’s waiting for a reply.

We are here with you, hoping for the best outcome.

I hope you have some peace of mind today. Take care.

Only thing now is waiting for a response, and if i don't get one, i'll still need to come into work tomorrow anyway. 

Dang. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance