Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

rimemariner29
Contributor

Auditory Hallucinations

Hey all,

I am really struggling. I was clinically diagnosed last year and overtime learned to accept my illness. I am on medications which limit the derogative voices/ auditory hallucinations. It gets confusing, as I dont know whether people around me are having a go at me or I am just "hearing them". I get angry when i hear them and it disrupts my concentration on task at hand. I just walk away from situations but it plays on my mind.

How the hell do you deal with them? I take my medications very seriously, visit support group weekly basis, exercise and on proper diet. I dont watch the news to limit triggers. Lately i been going to Church, to perhaps learn how to "forgive" the voices and not be victimised by my condition.

I am agnostic so Church is all new to me but I do like the concept of forgiveness. I hold onto many grudges which doesnt go well when you hear "derogative voices". Do you get where i am going with this. Maybe there is another practical solution to this. I cant seem to let go of what i hear, and I feel victimised.

Does anyone have any advice? I am seeing my psych soon. Does anyone have any advice for me, I did be grateful.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Auditory Hallucinations

Hi @rimemariner29 

Thanks for your post! It sounds like you have put a lot of self care steps in place, which is great. 

A suggestion of something you could try is mindfulness, which is about spending time in the present and focusing on grounding yourself. I find that mindfulness really helps when you need to center yourself and be in the now.

Im sure you will get plenty of advice from people on here as well

Hope all goes well and you feel more in control soon.

Outlanderali

Thank you,

I will look into mindfulness. I have become complacent in my recovery as I used to meditate regularly. About time I renew my will to get well and take back control.

Hello,

ive googled a few good strategies as well as using some of my own for when i supported loved ones with intense hallucinations and delusions.

Routine:

Keeping a daily for your self is fantastic for training your brain to relax and prepare for the next step of the day

Small goals for the day with self rewards:

this can be things like " finish washing the clothes" then rewarding your self with a personal treat when you have done it. An example is i wont have a cup of coffee or play with my dog until ive done the washing.

Music

i have headphones with my fav music....because other people in my house hold doesn't like my taste in music lol and i can have the music as loud as i like . ( this can help drown out the voices or sounds when they can get bad)

Showers and baths

If your home and cant seem to get away from your symptoms a shower or bath is a nice change to distract your mind.

Learn your warning signs if you have them.

Some people get a head ache or notice them selves with an arm cramp before they become quite unwell. Tapping of fingers or if you notice your self shouting in reply- this will help you make up a plan of attack to find your calming self space to cope or self manage or "ride the wave" until the end.

I hope some of these ideas help out.

Baboo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance