Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Uggbootdiva
Senior Contributor

Anger management

Anyone had any success with counselling/books/philosophies to how to manage one's anger?
I am hurting my kids emotionally so much at the moment and hate it. I am so angry all the time, I feel like "why does everything have to be so hard? Why does nothing just work? " from a logical point of view and On paper, this is complete bullshit. Many many things are great and easy in my life, so why do things make me so so so angry?
Yes we have some difficulties and complications in our family but compared to so many of you my life is easy street. I got so angry at my phone the other week I threw it onto the floor and smashed the screen. Stupid stupid stuff right? Even better I do this in front of my lovely impressionable children who are currently quite frightened of mummy. And learning brilliant ways to handle their emotions... Not.
Shit shit. Hate everything and everyone emotionally but don't really logically.

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Anger management

Hello @Uggbootdiva,

Im sorry to read your going through these issues- but very relieved your reaching out asking for advice or networks- this shows me your ready for a change. 

Do you have any ideas your self on strategies? Hobbies, going for a run, writing angry letters to read later, calling a support line like "Life line 131114".

These are just quick ideas that are coming to the top of my mind right now.

Depending on the area your living in- there might be courses you can take- maybe even online ones these days im sure. Your local library for a book- or google some ideas too.

The best advice i can give you is please tell your GP. There could be all sorts of reasons your feeling this way- the best start is making an appointment to see a GP, and just for tonight and tomorrow- note down some of your own ideas to help your self out for the time being.

I hope this helps a little for now- you can search some key words in this forum aswell to see what other members have written.

-Baboo

hey @Uggbootdiva 

I can totally relate. I have spent the better part of these "holidays" trying to keep the lid on my own anger and despair. Incredibly irritable and easily wound up - and yes it is easy to hate oneself for feeling this way for "no reason". You mean none that seems good enoug, or no apparent good reason.

From a compassionate point of view (oh so much easier to practice with others than oneself - I include me in this!). I could suggest that living with bipolar (no matter how rosy or not the rest of life is) is pretty rough going a lot of the time, and any stress makes it harder; it is school holidays and although the sound of kids playing and laughing can be lovely it can also add to the irritablitly - much worse if they end up bickering, or complaining about being bored (favourite answer: "it's good for your imagination, make up a game or activity"). I really don't think school holidays are fun for us any more than the "festive" season is to be frank. I make no bones about doing my best to survive - without strangling my kids, or telling them I'd like to (nearly as bad).

I hear you about the sense you are frightening your kids, it is an awful reality to face (I know, been there!) - but you have both the integrity to notice and honesty to say so. And you are teaching them some not so healthy ways to deal with emotions. If you are managing not to hit them or yell abuse at them then cut yourself a little slack please. Seeing these things and acknowledging that you aren't ok about them is the first step to noticing when you're doing this, then as you're about to, then before you do, then choosing to something different. I also suggest that there is a bigger picture here you need to keep in mind, as you are learning to deal with this differently you will also teach them. Perhaps you might feel better about yourself if you start by talking with them and apologising gently?

Do you know what specifically is making you so boiling angry? Is it because life is hard? It is a reality my friend. Only those who pretend to be "normal" and buy into the media/marketing sell-job that life is meant to be or is easy. It hurts to really live, and the more consciously you try to live the more it hurts in my experience. Up to a point, because slowly things start to shift - they are not rosy all the time but there are glimmers of grace in small things I would never have noticed when I was chasing normal.

I have a beautiful friend who I reckon must be about the most loving patient person I know - and you know what she told me she had to do when her kids were younger (they're all adults now)? When she felt like she was going to lose it she'd go and hide out under the clothes line until she calmed down.

At the moment I am trying to train myself to always look my little girl in the eye when she comes to talk to me, and to give her a kiss or a cuddle or some small gesture of affection. It is hard work, it runs totally counter to how I was raised - mum always told us to leave her alone - and I never bonded with my youngest like the other two - for all sorts of reasons. So this is a big hard step, made in the midst of struggling with a heap of crap. But I want to help her, she has PTSD too, and I want to strengthen my relationship with her. So I keep working at it. I am nowhere near as far along in this as I wanted to be when I decided to work on it 18 months ago. But I am making small steps and I have to notice them or else I will despair of changing this.

The nature of change is that it is hard, and until we "get it" oft continues to be slow progress. One of the most important things is to notice when we shift from it being hard to easy, not to dismiss it. We need to give ourselves that internal pat on the back - "I did it", because recognising our own progress reinforces that we can do it, even though it is hard.

Sorry if this isn't what you were hoping for. Another thought is have you had any enjoyable adult company for yourself at all over the holidays? I found that was one of the things sending me stir crazy.

Take care of you my friendHeart, and keep in touch. Come and blurt on the forum when you feel like spitting the dummy if it helps 🙂 (easier said than done I know)

In the midst of sh*t (and feeling like it) hope for change still endures.

Kindest regards,

Kristin

Hey @Uggbootdiva, school holidays can be really really tough... Depending on which state/territory you live in, there are anger management groups and courses for parents..if you can google parentline, I have only heard good things about parentline..you are definitely not alone...raising children is really really challenging, and you are doing the best you can...hard to be centred and act thoughtfully when your emotions have hijacked your reactions..

Is there any way you can create an opportunity for you to have some time to yourself? I have used DVDs and electronic gaming time to give me some headspace during holidays..and bribery/incentives that if kids let me have 15-30mins I have allowed sleepover or have friends over to play..
What would you suggest @PeppiPatty or @kristin?

Thanks everyone. Just felt good to share it all on this forum. thanks for being here. Really.

@baboo - I am bipolar 2 so it's probably all part of that.  thanks so much for your kind words and obvious concern despite my petty problems.

@Alessandra1992@kristinthanks guys - so nice to share with this forum.

It's embarrassing though, I have heaps of time to myself so it's not really that! I do often feel very out of place on this forum. Everyone is struggling with so much on top of the MI. Violent partners, divorces, homelessness, unemployment , difficult family that don't understand, drug addiction, that I do feel very petty having any probs at all. 

I think for me, the amount of decisions that have to be made in holidays send me over the edge. My youngest is particularly anxious and constantly telling me what the time is, or asking what are we doing, what can I eat, when are doing that, should i do this? etc. I finally started packing her a lunch box and saying that is your food for today. at least that stopped some questions! the problem is I hate overscheduling our days it makes me very anxious if I have to do that.It makes her anxious if I don't.

I even told my lovely children that I hate being a parent. I love them to bits, but I hate being a parent as I sat and cried on the floor. (it was prompted by a particularly difficult (for us) autistic spectrum episode from the youngest and a whole pile of disappointing experiences the eldest just had but still...parenting FAIL). I always apologise and they are lovely and forgiving, but it feels like an abusive partner who constantly is sorry and promises never to do it again, but keeps doing it. How long till they call me out and say "mum if you were sorry you would stop doing it"?

It's just that classic where do I end and the illness begins? how much of the f u k p is my fault for lack of self-control? I'm getting psychiatric help, I take my meds. I am trying to hold up my end of responsibility but...it's times like these the whole "they would be better off without me" thoughts creep in which can lead to darker thoughts of course. But back to school in 5 days and I can pretend I have the illusion of control again.Smiley Frustrated

omg just told "f.. k ..p is a bad word and I need to clean it up. SERIOUSLY????

Hi @Uggbootdiva 

I can hear that you hold a lot of remorse and guilt for your actions towards your kids. You mentioned that you feel like an abusive partner, who goes around in a cycle of remorse and abuse. The thing is though, you are owning your behaviour in an honest, insightful and proactive way - You are taking your meds, seeing a therapist, and seeking support on here.

There is no doubt that parenting is challenging and stressful. And adding a MI on top of this can make parenting feel more challenging. Often I think that because we are adults, we place a lot of emphasis on being 'grown-up'. In a sense, yes, we must be grown-up and behave like adults, but within this we also need to make room for growth. Children are part of this equation. You, as parent, can grow through the experiences of caring for your children. Not only do you teach them, but they teach you. Personal growth doesn't happen through smooth sailings, it takes challenges, making mistakes, falling down and then dusting yourself, looking at yourself honestly, owning your behaviour and making the changes that you can, and this process often repeats itself again and again when new issues and challenges. But this is part growth, as painful and challenging as it is. @kristin  @Alessandra1992  @PeppiPatty  what are your thoughts?

You mentioned that you feel out of place here because you feel petty have any problems at all. I want you to know that you are most welcome here. I'm glad to see you on here again (it's been a while since I last spoke to you on here). While some people can appear to have 'bigger' problems, remember it's not a measure of the problem on here, your experiences and your feelings are important. 

If you feel that things become too much, you can contact Parentline. They provide counselling about parenting issues over the telephone or via webchat. 

For emergency and immediate support:

Lifeline 13 11 14

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467

If in immediate danger: 000

CB

I just quickly want to respond to the comment about using phrases like f--k up. Some words and phrases trigger an automated system. While we don't mind people swearing (as long as it's not directed at anyone else in an abusive or offensive manner) we do have certain phrases that automatically banned to minimse risks.

We are currently working on processes so that if you feel a certain phrase should be published and it's been taking out of context, you can contact staff at SANE so that we can work on publishing your post. 

Hi @Uggbootdiva,
School holidays break routines for our children and some children really really thrive on regular routines..so I am not surprised your youngest is Kern on knowing when is snack time and lunchtime coz school does that 5 days a week.
It is actually a really cool idea to pack her lunch..you can go out or picnic at home!; win win!!

With regard to other people's issues..well it's a bit like other people's pain...we all feel pain no matter our backgrounds or diagnoses or education or upbringing..and we all struggle to get well, stay well and do the best we can when we can..
Parenting is so hard at times..I often wonder how under prepared I am at times..I get over emotional..and those feelings of frustration and anger..BAM!! Blindsided again...working on not reacting is slow going..well not yelling for a start...unless it is emergency, like STOP..Car coming!! During the holidays.. STOP BAcKCHATTING, did they stop, nup..I think maybe we're raising the next generation of unionists or lawyers..very aware of their rights and power of a good argument.. prove it, but why should I? The lament of parents when kids push the buttons....

Hey there @Uggbootdiva 

Please do not beat yourself up like this! It is not comparative struggles, we all have different ones, or sometimes similar - it is about supporting and encouraging each other through the mutlitude of vagaries accompanying MI. So don't hang back because you think your issues are "petty" - if we all started that then no one would post. Cherry is right, you are welcome here - you belong as much as any of us.

It sounds like you have been trying really hard to balance between your needs and the kids'. The lunchbox idea is a good one, I might try that! Would it help your youngest feel less anxious if you did a timetable on the pc (with pics) with the days & times & activities (eg meals, play time etc)? It would perhaps feel like the stronger structure of school, but not really a significant change in actual activities? I know my 6yo is really missing that. And like you I don't want to have a highly structured day, it makes me worse.

We all have times where we hate being a parent (or if we are human anyway) it is such bloody hard work. We all say things we shouldn't too. I've done it myself. You've apologised and your children have gracioulsy accepted, I suggest because they love you and know you love them. It is so debilitating in that space when we start to feel like they would be better off without you. I know something about kids without parents who love them enough to care when they stuff up, or without anyone. Some land on their feet, many don't. Don't go there.

I am telling you straight if I thought you were really abusive I'd tell you. I've survived parental abuse, I've seen others who are abusive (and enjoy it or couldn't care less); and I know a lot of women like us who really struggle with it - bugger it up at times - and keep going because that is what love asks us to do.  So please listen to what Cherry says - I think she is spot on. Give yourself a break my friend. Not by saying it's ok to do this, but that it's ok you aren't perfect yet and are keeping on working at it. Beating yourself up so badly will only add to the guilt and darkness. I know - I've been there way too many times. 

If you cannot easily find compassion for yourself in this (and I know what a struggle that can be) then imagine for a minute or two it is me posting this problem (as I could easily have with my own kid-issues) and allow yourself to feel compassion from your beautiful caring heart - then you hold this for yourself.

Hope for growth, in the midst of parenting struggles, endures...

Kindest regards,

Kristin

PS a poem for you

Cred

I’m in the people management business
Helping to develop those entrusted to me
At their most vulnerable and promising -
They are often difficult and even infuriating
The pay is low, I work 24/7, no RDOs or holidays
No retirement or super either
It brings out the best
And sometimes the worst in me

My job can be sheer hell,
Pure magic,
Or anything in between
If I could go back and start over
I’d definitely sign up again
Growing them grows me too
I’m a parent
Nurturing a bit of the world’s future

Kristin © September 2012

Dear Uggbovitta,
good message.
How are you?
I'm reading all these wonderful answers to you, I thought this is a
quirky,
Groovy
creative suggestion.....
the thought of hiding under the clothes line?
It's so cool it might work!
youlle be laughing so hard, all that grr will be swept out from you. :0)

Personally, I think that being a
loving caring father
is an answer that a LOt of children don't get.
When both of my sons turned 16 and18, they came back telling me of all the wrongs I did to them...the most important think is to be present, say sorry, and let them vent their upset.
it's Life Long.
After about four years, once, I went over to visit my oldest son, he was telling me everything I did wrong and I said, you know ............I'm open to everything I've done wrong. I am Here, we have talked and talked about it and I agree, when you were a teenager, I was not a good Mum and I'm ashamed of it but move on now, it's been 4 years we have been discussing this.
and both sons did move on for about a year. Now my lovely oldest son talks to me about decisions I made for the family when he was 11 years old.

I don't know if you have it but WA has kids line here,

once I went to America for 5 weeks. when I got home, my 10 year old som beat me up because he was so upset I left for a holiday. When I rang them.......they got me and my son into some wonderful Centrelink paid for Councelling. I think I Paid $10 or $15 per session for him.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance