Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ejh
New Contributor

Advice to make the first step

Hi everyone,

A bit of background on my story, my now 34yo brother developed depression and anxiety during his final years of school. At the time, his illness was unfortunately ill-managed and has over the years resulted in acute depression and anxiety, with occasional manic episodes.

He is currently not on any meds, and has not received treatment in over a decade. He is isolated, and does not work or have any connections outside family. Despite many attempts on my part, my parents are reluctant to push him into treatment or care. I should mention, he is unwilling to even have a conversation with a GP.

I am now at a point where I believe acute inpatient treatment is required, and I am certain that this would not happen voluntarily on either my brother or my parent's part. Does anyone have any similar experience with getting a family member into care, as much as I hate to say it, but it would be against his will.

Any advice would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Advice to make the first step

ocd take control of your life    on youtube this guy suffers from ocd and understands what we go through, I listened to his story and this man has changed my life… just wanted to share that there is hope out there, and I myself have suffered with type o ocd for likd 27 yrs and his insights really make a difference….do yourself a favor and just listen if you truly want help…I know its working for me

Former-Member
Not applicable

@ejh

It is very difficult when loved ones lack insight into how unwell they are.

Your parents may be exhausted, caring for someone with MI is tough going. Even with treatment it can be a long haul.

I would familiarise oneself with the mental health act of your state/territory. Usually a patient must be in some sort of danger to self or others to be involuntarily treated. On the web there will also be some info as to how to undergo getting an assessment.

Darcy

Hello @ejh

A very warm welcome to the forums, it is great that you are reaching out for some support and ways to help your brother receive some treatment for his depression and anxiety. It sounds tricky trying to encourage him to seek help when he is unwilling to even talk to a GP, has he said what is holding him back in even trying that? Sometimes it can be helpful to check in around his fears or worries with seeking help.

If you are wanting him to get treatment through hospital involuntarily, they will only assess him if he is at risk of harming himself and/or others, and usually hospital is a short torm option to keep him safe so sometimes is not the most helpful option and can be quite distressing for the person.

The best thing you can do is encourage him to engage in help seeking behaviours, whether that is self-care, routine, seeing a GP, using a helpline etc.

It is good you are trying to see what others have found helpful, you might like to Introduce Yourself Here if you like.

Lunar

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance