Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

A bad morning... and what NO-ONE talks about re: suicide.

Quick trigger warning, the end of this post is probably not the best content to read if you're currently in a suicidal crisis, but I hope you appreciate it and get the support you need.

How does general bad luck and misfortune affect your broader mental health?

I am really tired... I had work last night. I know it sounds weird, but I wanted to go to the town centre and return my library books in the after-hours box. At that time of night, there's no-one around, so I thought it would be really satisfying. Amazingly, the after-hours box has opening hours. The door was locked.

So instead, I had to wake up early and take two buses, to two libraries in my area. I asked for my coffee to be made warm, and instead, it was pretty damn hot. In twenty-eight degree weather, that was pretty unpleasant. Delicious, but unpleasant. To be fair, I saw on the order that she didn't write "warm", and she didn't write it on the lid, so I should have pointed it out. I had to wait twenty minutes for my bus.

I was inspired to ask this question while I was making scrambled eggs for breakfast one day after work. I had pieces of shell come off every single egg that I cracked, and spent a good five minutes trying to get it all out. Then I went to the cabinet and realised we didn't have any salt. 

These are tiny inconveniences in the grand scheme of things, but they are so frustrating that it becomes a bigger issue. Or, at least it highlights the bigger issues.

Comparing my life to others is hard, but avoiding it is even harder.

For some reason, the town centre is always full of young people with their friends or partners. While I was walking to the library, a guy in front of me saw his girlfriend from across the road. She walked over and gave him two big kisses. I tried for a couple of seconds to pretend that it didn't affect me, but it made my heart drop. "I'm sure they're not as happy as they seem on the surface" :face_with_rolling_eyes:.

I haven't been hugged in eighteen months. Like, does that even sound possible to you?

My problems have nothing to do with a random couple expressing their love for each other, but it is deeply embarrassing, walking through a crowd of couples, knowing that all you've ever had is one friend that you don't even talk to anymore. "Some day" is absolutely no consolation. I want to die before "some day".

I have been very suicidal for some time now.

I recall a high-profile suicide. She put out a video before she died, which is nowhere to be seen. YouTube took it down. The transcript, though, is online. She said something that stuck with me. "I don't see how this could be a bad idea." 

I think it's very easy for someone to say that they feel sorry for someone who's contemplating suicide, and that they hope they get the help they need... but they say it in a way that's very distant. I think they don't want to delve deeper because they know it's not as simple as that. 

I want to make it clear that I am safe... but surely you get it. If you know what I have been through, then you can't really be surprised, right? If you saw one picture of me, you would understand why no-one wants to be near me.

No-one acknowledges that it's not quite as simple as saying you need to stay alive... but I think I'm in that boat.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: A bad morning... and what NO-ONE talks about re: suicide.

Hey all, just checking in to offer support for anyone who might be impacted by discussions about suicide. We of course encourage you to share your thoughts and experiences - raising awareness and sharing with others is always helpful. Of course, these topics can also bring up a lot of emotions for folks, so remember to engage in some self-soothing, connecting with your support network, or reach out to mental health services if this brings anything up for you. 

If you need to, please don't hesitate to contact the SANE Help Centre for support, or if in crisis please get in touch with the following: 

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling

Samaritans: 135 247

If in immediate danger: 000

Keep in mind the Forum Guidelines (particularly around safety) when posting. You can also email us at team@saneforums.org if you have any other queries or concerns. We're here for you Smiley Very Happy

Thank you @Jynx  and @Former-Member  but I will just log out for the evening.

I realise people need to share this but I am always drawn to read such posts then the thoughts...just won’t go away.

Thank you for letting us know where you're at @Eve7  - thoughts are with you. Sounds like you're listening to and respecting your own needs which is a great skill to have built. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you need. Take care Heart

ive made many attempts @Former-Member  and ive always hoped that people would understand and think, 'yeah i dont blame her', life has been pretty shitty. i think bad luck and misfortune adds layers and layers to already complex issues that people face. sometimes we make choices ourselves that add layers, but we can also be victim of other peoples shitty choices, and then stuff just happens too.

and i agree, comparing our lives to others is hard. i certainly do it frequently. i have some friends who have had it pretty easy. found the love of their lives, easy career journey, kids, money... all that jazzz... and while we dont know that battles that they have faced behind closed doors, outwardly, they generally have it good... certainly better than others outward existance. 

im sorry you havent been hugged in 18mths, human touch is important. i appreciate hugs... squishy ones 🙂 and even during covid i sought them out from safe people. 

with ya @Former-Member  life is hard, especially when pain is so very present. ive struggled recently. im struggling now.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance