Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Bow
Senior Contributor

reason behind a name

i hope its ok to start this thread? and maybe its been asked before? 

But i often look at peoples usernames and wonder how they came up with it. whether they have a meaning. or something really random. i know the forum is anonymous, so perhaps you cant go into details, but i wonder if people are able to share the story behind their usernames?

When i came here i didnt want to use the name that i usually use around places online, i wanted to stay very anonymous and didnt want to risk being foundout  i guess. i had no clue what to use and just looked up at the window... or the curtain at the window, which had cute little bows on it and thats where bow originated from 🙂

13 REPLIES 13
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: reason behind a name

Hi @Bow 

You chose a great name, honestly I love dragons especially baby dragons and it gave me an excuse to use baby dragon pics for my profile picture 

Sometimes I care about being anonymous and sometimes not. This exact moment is that I don't. It's my cats' names. Tom is tuxedo dark grey and white. Jerry is red ginger and despite they are at same age, Jerry is slightly smaller. I named them after cartoon I used to love watching. Good old days. 

@Bow you can start any kind of thread you like. Smiley Happy

I like the randomness of your username. Your bow picture is nice to look at. Smiley Happy

Mine is similar in that I decided it very quickly. It contains a nickname I used to get called by workmates and a name I just have always liked as the other part. Don't ask me why I made it so long! I must have been feeling  a bit wired or dramatic that night. Smiley LOL

Hi @Bow ! What a great idea for a thread!

When I first signed up for this forum, it was way back when the movie Frozen was taking the world by storm and especially the song "Let It Go". I was one of the billions worldwide caught up in the hype. I would watch the DVD every chance I got and I was deeply touched by it every time.

In particular, one of the lines of "Let It Go" really resonated with me; and seemed especially relevant to a place like this forum:

"Let it go! Let it go!

Can't Hold It Back Any More!" = @chibam Smiley Wink

Former-Member
Not applicable

@chibam wrote:

In particular, one of the lines of "Let It Go" really resonated with me; and seemed especially relevant to a place like this forum:

"Let it go! Let it go!

Can't Hold It Back Any More!" = @chibam Smiley Wink

OK, that is straight cool!

As for me, I have been known for a while as florencefortyseven on YouTube, in comments and live chats.

It refers to Florence Welch, one of my favourite artists. FATM have four albums right now, but florencefour was already taken, so I thought I'd add a digit. I don't like the look of letters and numbers together, though, so I alphabetised it. 

Unfortunately, there's a character limit on SANE, so the "seven" had to go 😭. As far as WHY I'm florencefortyseven, stay tuned, because I have a separate thread coming out on that that I have planning to write for some time.

Hey @Bow 

What a great thread.

I came up with the name because I spend a lot of winter time at the snow. It is a special place for me to spend time as a family unti. I thought it was personal yet still being anonymous at the same time.

This is a very cool idea @Bow! Like you, I've often been curious about the 'why' behind members usernames- so long as we don't identify ourselves in sharing, it should be all good- for instance, for me, there are a few things that would be dead giveaways of my identity for those who know me IRL and so had to be avoided 😊 Similar to @Former-Member & @chibam (both amazingly clever by the way!), my username is musically inspired by a couple of different songs, one by Owl City & the other by Kate Miller Heidke (also, fair warning- her vocals can get pretty intense on this track). Aside from that, I also felt like the name had a bit of a hopeful feel to it, in the sense that the seas may be rough now, but it won't be that way forever, the tide will turn so to speak 😊

Some people have told me I'm one of the bravest people they have ever met. My mother says that I am as stubborn as my father (I'll take that as a compliment). Now all I need is a profile pic...

@Bow 

Great to see this thread.  A similar one was started years ago, but it is always a relevant question.

@Brave-stubborn Welcome

@Former-Member Looking forward to your new thread,

@TideisTurning I enjoyed your link.  It suits a lot of my relationship with ex.  

@chibam Love it. Would never have guessed ... lol

Hey @Snowie 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance