Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: With coffee .... without coffee. A place for us coffee lovers and coffee!

@Owlunar, I was lucky enough to do a fair bit of travelling when I was younger, mainly Asia and the USA.  I spent a year in the latter which was really interesting.  Travelled right across it and through 1/2 of Canada as well.  Despite all the short comings in our public health sytem and housing, its a hell of a lot better than most places.  

I read that you had your tripped all planned to go up north.  I trust you will have a great time while your away.  At some point in the not so distant future I hope to take a big chunk of time off and do some local travel.  I don't have any spot's in mind, just like to take some photos like I used to.  Do a lot of walking and getting into places that most people don't get to.

Thanks for sharing the pics, don't think you can overdo it with those.

hi @Gazza75 ,

I hope you have a nice time at the farm, it sounds lovely.

I feel terrible, I had another revolting experience at volunteering today. The guy I have to work with was did his usual saddistic, homophobic, racist and generally hateful ranting. It was just awful. I left the room several times to take a break from him but it just wasn't enough. I feel very disturbed by it and can feel my stress and psychotic symptoms flooding in. Last time this happened it took 6 weeks off to recover.

My manager wanted me to stay for an extra 2 hours today so I could attend a meeting. That was supposed to be about me changing roles so I can get away from this disturbing man but instead they asked me to keep my existing role and do a second role and do more difficult work like grant writing. All for free. It was a nightmare, I was just sitting there in disbelief. My bosses there have been extremely supportive referees and got my new job for me so I feel obliged to stay on rather than just ditch them the moment I get paid work. But this is the pits. I'm just so furious this man has disturbed me again, an increase in meds doesn't help, nothing does really.

Hi @BryanaCamp ,

I'm sorry you had another bad experience.  You shouldn't have to put up with all that.  You did amazing to get through it and good on you for leaving the room.  This is the last thing you need right now. 

I'm here if you want to talk about it. 

Hey @BryanaCamp , I hope you are feeling a bit better today.  Thinking of you.

What a rotten experience @BryanaCamp 

People doing voluntary work are angels - doing something for nothing - really - that is a gift to society - imo if a job is worth doing it's worth being paid for but I have volunteered myself and I know we do get paid for what we do for free inside - 

But we never deserve to be treated like that - you are being treated like a door mat and even the dogs body runs over the door mat - that is so cruel and not at all Australian - 

Personally I would leave - resigning with a letter saying you appreciate the help you received getting a paid job but you can't work with the bad-tempered and cruel man you have already explained about and whatever else is on your mind about your voluntary work

There's an ad on TV atm about people needing to be treated with respect in the work place - and the field of voluntary work is also a work place - 

How rotten for you - you don't need to feel obliged to stay 

It sounds like the pits

I wish you the best - you deserve better than  you have been getting

Dec

Hi @Gazza75 

I love clipart - there is always something there to complement what I am saying

I love to travel - for a long time I wasn't in the position of getting away - now I am seeing Eastern Australia - I have been to Launceston, Canberra, Lakes Entrance (twice), Sydney, Hobart, Cairns and this time the Sunshine Coast. I enjoy flying and now I have the chance I want to get in as much as I can while I can - 

Also - my grand-daughter moved to the Sunshine Coast for her health - it seems to be working for her and I am looking forward to seeing her again - we talk on the phone or text quite often - it's wonderful to have an adult grandchild - she's an artist and I am looking forward to seeing what she is producing at the moment

I have a cousin living in Canada and I would love to see him and his family - we communicate on-line - it would be great to see all of them face-to-face - I have to organise myself into a British Passport - it can make things easier - I am sure this will happen if it's meant to

my family went to a wedding in Thailand a few years ago - I didn't go - the thought of Third World Countries scares me a bit and I think there's enough of the world to see without Third World - I am not young any more and so seeing Australia first sounds good to me - it's a big enough adventure getting through airports these days

I'm glad you are here Gazza - you are supportive of so many people it's really good to read

Dec

Good morning @Owlunar @LadyleahRDBloom @Gazza75 @BryanaCamp 

I haven't posted here before but am enjoying reading while I have a cuppa joe. Really impressed by the travel talk as I missed my opportunity when I was young. Canada has been on my bucket list for a while now. Sigh...oh well. Good things come to those who wait. One day...

I'm sorry to hear about your co worker Bryana. I worked with a man just like that once. Eventually I just put my hand up in his face and told him he was too offensive to listen to anymore. He tried to argue but I refused to engage and walked off. Life's too short for tolerating people like that. 

And; writing up grants? For free? There's a difference between volunteering and having your contributed time abused. Tell your manager about this offensive man you mention; "Move me or him, otherwise I'll have to leave" tagged at the end. It sounds to me like you have some negotiating leverage. Good luck! Smiley Happy

thank you so much @Gazza75 for your reply. It really helped to cheer me up, I so appreciate it and am really grateful for your friendship. Thank you for being there for me & empathising. And for not chirping in with practical suggestions.. like mindfulness & breathing techniques, I know they are helpful for some but they just don't work for me & can make me feel more aggitated so I am really grateful that you were there for me & validated my situation. If empathy has a scale you're ten out of ten. I am getting through today ok and saw my psychiatrist this morning who was really opptimitstic and helpful which is great. I am very happy for you that you are doing well & thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated. Cat Happy I can't really think of much else to write today but thankyou for your support, it is wonderful and thankyou to @Owlunar for your support I appreciate it, and to others on the thread. I am doing my darndest to have an early night & go on a healthy hike tomtorrow as an affirnative type of action. I hope the farm is/was nice @Gazza75 , speak soon x

Hey @BryanaCamp , your welcome and thanks for the catchup on everything.  You sound very positive after your psych visit which is awesome.   I am real glad you have been getting through ok.

I've been busy with work.

Having bad thoughts,  Mind is racing.

I hope you have a great hike. 

Hi @Owlunar , its great your in a position to do a bit more travelling now.  You've ticked off a lot of the east coast 🙂

Pictures don't do most places justice, and that's especially true with Canada, the scenery is breathtaking.  The national parks, wildlife, lakes and mountains are  jaw dropping.  It's definitely worth spending a good month or two there if you can. 

I'm sure you will have a great time checking in with your granddaughter and her art. You must be so proud. You are very supportive to people as well Dec. 

Thanks so much.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance