Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: What my Mental Illness has done for me in a positive light

Hey @Doglover your kind words picked me up after a hard day. It has taken me a long time to see positives in my struggles, and there are days when I'm not able to see any. At my best I see all my experiences as part of a full life and try not to disect them too much. Take care, and sleep well tonight.

Well thanks @frog  for your kind words and for brightening my night. I honestly dont feel in any place to be able to make a positive difference in anyone's life at the moment so its nice to know that thats not totally the case! Iv actually been crying for the last half an hour or more, so your post was a real blessing to me. Thanks @frog . Best wishes to u and im glad that u can now find (at least sometimes) some positives from ur experience. I look forward to that day.

I like this post because in general I find it hard to see anything positive about the state I amin. However just recentlyI remembered that I found it very hard to express myself years ago when I was high nearly all the time. After years of therapy I find it much easier to know what I think and to be able to express it in words. That's well worth having.

That's such a great positive @BronH! It really is worth having, you are right in that sometimes we're so focused on how badly it's affected us, we forget to look at the positives. 

Hello @greenpea. It's nice to see others have experienced positivity from their mental illnesses as well. I've been quite happy since recovering from a psychosis last year, as I'm finally getting the right help I've needed (28 years old now). My family life is better than it's ever been, my relationship is basically perfect, I've never been so comfortable and in love before. After what happened last year and my recovery of trying medication with gaining weight and my self esteem issues, I've managed to open my heart more and definitely have more compassion for others. 
I'm finally seeing a good psychiatrist that I like and am on good meds with no bad side effects of yet, and we are currently working towards a diagnosis... so far it's something like schizoaffective, but we are also investigating narcolepsy. I'm quite surprised by how happy I am nowadays, and have been wondering if there were indeed others experiencing good things after experiencing a typically saddening event/circumstance such as mental illness. It's definitely nice to know there are others who feel the same way as myself.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance