Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Harry
Senior Contributor

Talking about pets.

Hi everyone. Harry here.

I am seeing a common thread in this part of the forum and that is we all LOVE our animal friends. SO I thought it might be fun to share a little bit about our non human friends with each other. What type of animal/s we have their names, breeds any quirks they may have and what makes them so special.

Currently I have an African Love Bird (the type with the white cartoon eyes) and his name is Jasper. Jasper is three years old and is every color you can imagine. He loves to have a bath each morning and isn't shy LOL.

His eating habits are odd as he only eats seed and occasionally lettuce, but loves his cuttlebone though.

He is a constant in my life and we have some pretty kool conversations. Jasper's shrill squawk can pierce eardrums and his beak could pierce steel I'm sure (fingers and finger nails I can attest to).

He is a great source of conversation amongst the mum's, dad's and children who pass by (even the local kitty cat drops in).

His expected lifespan is around 12 years so I look forward to many more adventures with Jasper.

Harry

83 REPLIES 83

Re: Talking about pets.

Hi Harry!

How old is Jasper? Unfortunately, I don't have any pets because I live in an apartment but I have plants. Their lifespan is not very long in my care.Smiley Sad

BUT I'm hoping I can live vicariously through people's posts, hearing about their furry (or feathery) friends.  

Our dog is a rescue dog from Lost Dog's Home. Her mission succeeded..she rescued our family from couch potato land, and gives us all some of her bouncy energy every day! She has been amazing, with the added advantage of being 3 years old when we got her, so no house training required..great to travel with on long car trips too...and if she didn't moult absolutely everywhere she would be sleeping under the doona if she could. Scamp!

I have always loved cats (I love other animals too) and my oldest son was a bit of a cat whisperer. Since he died cats have become even more important to me. They are almost like  a link back to him, especially on days when grief is still raw.

My furry family members Smiley Happy I could never have made it through without them.  In the earlier years I had Dusty (Kelpie) who was just everything you could ask for.  She just knew what you needed and she took all my thoughts to the grave.  She led me through 6 years of post natal depression.

Now I have Rebus the staffy/kelpie x and he's 3.  His instincts are just spot on and he knows when I need a hug or to be dragged into the back yard with his toys.  Then Mia, a 2 year old chocolate lab x.  Let's just say she's a bundle of nervous energy shall we.  Poor thing has some issues.  Lastly there's Pepper, Harley, Emerald, Ruby and Argyle the guinea pigs.  

I have my 3 cats-all rescue ones. There is Lulu who is nine, who was abused as a kitten-she lives in my bedroom and loves me to death. Then I have Eeks at 8 who was left in a box at the rubbish dump, and Boo at 3 who was also dumped on the road. All talk to me a lot and make my day and help me get through some of the toughest times. They love me totally and put up with all of my strange behaviour. When I come home anytime after being hospitalized, they have been there waiting patiently for me to come home so that they can start loving me again.

Hey Cherry

Jasper is three years old. I will take some happy snaps and post his pic here for all to see.

Appartment living is not so good for pets but hopefully you can share in the adventures of the "forum pets".

Being a gardener I am not sure how to respond to your plant comment LOL. I shall post some pretty plant pics for you also (perhaps with instructions hehehehehe).

Harry

Hey Alessandra1992

I love a rescue puppy story.

Harry

Hey LAM

That's a beautiful thought to keep with you.

Harry

Hey JT

That's a HUGE load of love ya got there by the sounds of things. I'm guessing you don't throw away too many kitchen scraps lol.

Harry

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance