Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Enworb
New Contributor

Suicide and Government support services

After a meeting the other day I said “We might lose a few to Suicide due to frustration. How many of you go nuts because of centre link?” I have these talks at and after AA.

We know that the last bit of power we have in our lives is the power over our own life. The old statistic was 72 out of 800,000 get 5 years of Sobriety. It’s now less. I don’t go to all the funerals, I understand their reasons. I understand that BullShyt is the corner stone of Psychosis and since 1988 I’ve listened to a lot of embellished stories, before they _ _ themselves. I’ve started to go down some of those ‘dark paths’. I was locked into my head one night - I don’t remember the start but the anxiety had me and I was ringing everyone and no one was home. At around 1 in the morning I phoned someone in the Sydney Office and while talking to him I spotted my Big Book - I told the guy Thanks and opened the book.

So at that meeting most of us knew 3 or more case’s (past-friends) and we meditated on this (pealed back the layers) - Yep the power, to live their lives until they could support themselves, promised - was still being played with at centre link, after they were dead.

Who is collecting the data on this?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Suicide and Government support services

Hello @Enworb 

I am another who has been to too many funerals. Funerals partly due to govt incompetence and bungling, but been a govt employee too, and know the difference between stats and the state... droll laugh ...

Yes definitely .. who is collecting the data?????

People (including organisations) tend to collect data for self serving goals.

I can get into dark humour and say funerals are the only partee I am invited to ... nobody I knew ... had to play the organ for one last month, but at least I got a card, was chatted to, was fed, and was paid.  So much for all the HOLY GHOSTS.

Re: Suicide and Government support services

Hi @Enworb . Welcome to the forums! 🙂

I can relate a little to your woes with the government. Last year, I was struck by a foul-up from another government department that saw them coming after me, with no meaningful explaination as to why.

This was a few years after the "robodebt" debacle, and I knew that it was public knowledge that the robodebt debacle had caused suicides. So I would've assumed that, in the meantime, the government would've established therapists who really fix beaurocratic screw-ups for the people who've become the victims of them.

No such luck. Help does not exist. Everybody told me I was on my own. And even now, I am facing no end of frustration trying to trace the "help-seeking" journey for a suicidal/depressed person in a boat similar to mine, or a robodebt victim's.

But this is just one symptom of the much broader problem that, for all the promises to the contrary, the government still refuses to set up a system that fixes peoples' real-life problems, or correct the existing mental health system so that it does so.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance