Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

GeminiLion
Senior Contributor

Pass Valentine Day without issues

Im doing better these days. I managed to get through Valentine Day without issues. This follows Christmas and New Year. Not drinking has really help and not even interested. Others here ask how I did it, again I will attempt to tell people about Alcohol Experiement. Learnt so much and highly recommended. Alike Daybreak, or Hello Sunday Morning, I do not visit as much as I use to. I still feel lonely and now I am not drinking means I am less able to be social. There no soberity like groups here and locals dont share same interest or the proper understanding of interests. Still alone, still very much like a boy with no intimacy experience and I am 40ish now. I dont think I am ugly and working on diet so people will accept me. But good news is that Im in a better place and only taking half my med and seeing my doctor tomorrow and will ask about stopping outright. Thinking about going from monthly pyschologist to maybe 3 months. I already staying away from help forums, staying away from social media too  but I get concern about people who in a bad place. Worries me when people get rejected by the organisations that suppose to help them. Not sure when Ill say hi again. Take care. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Pass Valentine Day without issues

Hey @GeminiLion 👋🏻
It sounds like you have lots to be proud of. It's really hard when you are trying to achieve something like not drinking and it limits your social life. In my experiences it's worth sticking at until you find the place that works for you in a healthy way. It doesn't make it easy and there might be days where there is a hollowness rather than a sense of achievement. 
I'm a little opposite to you but wanted to recognise that we all have challenges. For me it was always depending on someone and living for someone else. I was never alone long before I'd find the next person (4 months was the longest from aged 15 to mid 40s. The thought of being by myself scared me so much. It's now been 6 years and I'm ok with being alone now. It took a long time to get to this point. I think the main thing is to find how to be you, and find shared experiences along the way with others that make good memories. I have began to realise it doesn't have to be with people you'll share your life with but it can be as simple as a moment in time with an acquaintance. I recently experienced this in a mental health respite program.

I have a couple of male friends who've never married and not had long term relationships in their late 50s but have carved out a life of pursuing their interests and hobbies, sometimes on their own. I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for them. For me personally I struggle to go out or do anything on my own still but find some peace and solace in my own company for the first time in my life (I'm in my 50s). 

Keep kicking you personal goals. They are always important and end up an integral part of your character and integrity in any new relationships (intimate or not).

Again great job for achieving the things you have 👍🏻🎉 🥳.

Best wishes. 😊

Re: Pass Valentine Day without issues

thankyou. That was lovely response. ❤️
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance