Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Musical stuff

Better than an air-guitar lolBetter than an air-guitar lol

@Appleblossom @Kurra @Bimby2 

Former-Member
Not applicable

57EE9BD9-64B3-4464-911B-E44E2015337D.gif

Only a piano player can appreciate the stretch in this gif. LOL

@Kurra@Appleblossom  @PatchouliRose  @CherryBomb  @Bimby2 @ @Owlunar  

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Appleblossom  - you asked elsewhere what recorder I'll play for Anzac Day 'TheLastPost' - it's just a descant recorder. I like playing wind instruments. You said the song doesn't work well on piano, so what were you gonna play it on? Oh no, I just realised there's always CD player lol🤣 Just thought being a muso and all... Have you ever tried singing or humming this song? 🤪 talk about vocal gymnastics :face_with_rolling_eyes: Anyway, just thought I'd resurrect a music thread for the topic. If that's ok. 🎶🎵

20210422-194204_1_1.jpeg

Great idea @Former-Member 

I love this thread, of course.

Heart

Thems the dots.

Last year I played it on a descant, but this year I will play it on an alto recorder.  I prefer the lower richer pitches, and working on extending the registers.

It was probably originally on horns or bugles. I have a bugle but cant play it ..lol. The haunting beauty of the piece is in the long notes, and piano cannot really sustain notes sufficiently, even with sustain pedal.

Cheers Bella

Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

I prefer the deeper tones too @Appleblossom but if memory serves me the Alto Recorder notes are in different places. Haven't finished unpacking yet, have a flute somewhere in the hoard... Oh well, guess the recorder will have to do. My favourite song to play on r is 'SkyBoatSong' 🎵

Your memory is good. @Former-Member  Its a pretty song.

Most recorders are in C or F.  The layout of the notes is a 5th apart. and the fingering. I am into harmony more than solos.  

I am a music teacher from a music teaching family.  I really do not thave favourite songs.  I go through phases though. First was Bach, then Classical, then Romantic  (but not Hollywood) been thru a drumming phase, a singing phase, an early music phase ... world music ... rocknroll ... even forced to do a bit of pop cos of students ... lol.

Here is one of the best groups in the world. Its a dutch thing.  My mother scoffed at me when I played my descant at school.  Was unkind of her which was her way with me, but it is truly a big culture that we can all benefit from of we think bigger than descant. ABout 7 years ago I decided to use my descant then quickly got an alto. It was mainly not to waste ... and gave me a huge new lease on m,usic and history, etc ... It is the usual instrument to play, descants are just for littler fillers up high ... and kids. Yes they can sound tinny if used in the wrong way. In the last year of her life I brought my alto with music she could accompany me with.  Every fortnight the alto sang out over the hospice and people really enjoyed it.  My mother liked to be top dog.  Mostly I accompanied her and others. It was unusual for me to get the spotlight, but we were in a little alcove with nobody around. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiQ4dSzOt00 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Oh @Appleblossom that's so lovely that you got to play Alto with ya mum in her last year "Every fortnight the alto sang out over the hospice 😢 and people really enjoyed it" 🤗 Beautiful memory there. .. Though I also hear you, your mum was mean to you a lot. You did well to stand by her to the end 😞
There's something haunting / spiritual about woodwind. Thank you for the lovely woodwind YouTube link, perky, just lovely. I so gotta check out this Alto Recorder 😊
🎶🎵🎵🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵

I took about a dozen lessons with a good teacher @Former-Member .  She helped me manage to play the full range of the instrument which can be a challenge, but worth it.  She also showed me the range of wonderful music written for consort and also jazz, I went on a few live in workshops.  Its wise to just focus on alto and so learn the F fingering. Once that is done you can actually then play the whole range from high to low.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance