Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Alessandra1992
Senior Contributor

Favourite easy recipes for when you don't want to cook!

I don't know about anyone else but when I don't feel like cooking I need to rely on cans to help create something from nothing that tastes great and is quick.

This one is actually from Matt Preston

Easy peasy bean soup!

1 tin of crushed tomatoes
1 tin of baked bins..any flavour

Put in saucepan or microwave proof bowl.
Heat to preferred temperature..
Get potato masher or stick blender ($15 at Coles), mush or zap..

Add pepper or. Chili or tabasco for taste and voila!

Hearty healthy vegetarian meal you can share or put in fridge and eat for lunch/dinner next day!

Best served with bread. Or crackers😄
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Favourite easy recipes for when you don't want to cook!

Sounds good - I will definately try

My absolutly favourate cook book is .....Hugh's Three Good Things on a plate by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall - not cheap to buy but might me able to track in down in local Liabary

A great salad which is now my standard to take to a BBQ is (look great & tastes great)

tin of baby beetroot (cut into halves or 1/4), feta (or goats) cheese & walnuts (or pine nuts) ... an additional option is to put this all on a bed of baby spinich.

Thanks Crystal, I am going to make your salad tomorrow! I love feta and walnuts and beetroot but I have never put all 3 together!

Great recipe Alessandra1992! Sounds so simple and tasty - what's not to like?!

I'm a huge fan of ceresfairfood recipes. If you like vegetarian food, you might like/love it.

I love the Japanese Curry and the organge flourless cake. mmmm

Cherry bomb how do you make Japanese curry or flour less orange cake? I love Japanese curry but I have only ever eaten it in Japanese restaurants..would love to have the recipe..does anyone know of a simple recipe or cheat's stir through simmer sauce...curries make veggies taste great!

Another soup recipe...

Leek and sweet potato soup.

You will need 2-3 medium onions or 1 really large one.
2 leeks.
2 large sweet spuds ( ok for diabetics to eat)
Veggie or chicken stock. Either home made or you can use stock powder, I use massel vegetable or chicken stock.
1-3 cups of water...depends on how thick you like your soup. Add more water for a thinner soup.

Chop onions and leeks, add a splash of olive oil to your saucepan. Gently sautéed for 5 mins.
Then add sweet spuds (peeled or peeled, best to chop and peel after onions and leeks are sautéing.
The add spuds to put, puts lid, leave for about mins.

Lift lid, give veggies a quick stir and add 2 cups of water, maybe 3,
Plus stock cube or powder. Stir again. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer.
Usually takes about 20 mins from boiling, then simmering to ready!

Mush up with a stick blender, don't forget to add chili, pepper, herbs whatever flavours you like.

Serve with sour cream or,plain yogurt for extra creaminess..
Bread or crackers..yum! This soup doesn't freeze well but you can always add a tin of toms and other veggies when you defrost and turn it to a vegie soup..

Great thread responses. I have a lot of dietary problems, so keep a selection of tinned soups in the cupboard. I usually get 2 meals out of a tin, and buy them when they are on special. I tend to buy everything tinned as it is cheaper than fresh and quite frankly the fresh vegetables in this town are often not of the first quality so tinned has lots going for it. I do moon over some fruit like mango which heaven forbid comes from Peru! Rather than Queensland but transport across the ditch makes everything prohibitory expensive. On occasion there are Qld mangoes they retail for around about $6.00'each, and when they are squashy sloppy still about $3.00 !

I adore the slow cooker as I cook for 6 guys at times, of course I am able to cook very economically with meat then, and I get a feed myself. Vegetarian curries do well in the slow cooker .....I have a wonderful recipe book by Alison Goften full of slow food.

Sometimes nourishing myself with wholesome food is the best act of kindness I can do for myself. I love to cook for friends as well as it has been very helpful in distracting myself in times of high anxiety..takes me to a whole other space...And tinned vegetables are such a bargain.nutritious, often on special and so many varieties. I am a huge fan of the slow cooker too Neb..it gives me space to cook a meal in advance and still have the option of a stir fry!
I think I would be lost without my slow cooker or electric wok..I am a bit if a one pot cook!😄

Hi Allessandra and hungry folk Cat Wink,

The mighty tin can!  Home of lentils, tomatoes, corned beef, and baked beans.

1.  Open can(s).

2.  Place in microwave-friendly container.

3.  Microwave.

I may have lost some of you in the technical details, so at this stage of the process one is able to eat.

For those less skilled, such as myself when the kangaroos are in the top paddock, instant noodles are a safe option.  The instructions are on the packet, and some noodles are sold with their own bowl.  Yes, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! 

And if you like your veggies crunchy, I often add a few bits of broccoli to my cup or pot of instant noodles as stirring in the sachet of flavour usually takes 2 mins, broccoli is warmed thru. Yum...

skinheads on a raft. simples. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance