Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Exo's Exposé

Hi @Exoplanet  typed you a longer reply but lost it coz my internet keeps dropping out.  Have a fab trip xoxo

SparklesSparkles

Blue CloudsBlue Clouds

Blue LagoonBlue Lagoon

The BeachThe Beach

Beach TreeBeach Tree

Air FernAir Fern

ShellsShells

Mega ShellsMega Shells

Beautiful @Exoplanet ...just beautiful Smiley Very Happy

Crab sandCrab sand

Soldier CrabSoldier Crab

Sea birdSea bird

Sea EaglesSea Eagles

Speckled birdSpeckled bird

Setting SunSetting Sun

The Sun has set :)The Sun has set 🙂

I'm back home 🙂 It was a wonderful trip, so glad I did it 🙂 The engine light came back on the day I left, grrrrrrrrrr! But the car worked fine. It was so good being able to have the puppies come inside with me. They did get extrememly {over} excited when we went for our walks on the beach & someone {particularly someone with a dog} was there. But we got ample opportunities to run free 😄 The tide moved in & out a great distance, so when it was out we could walk out to the waters edge & the staffy didn't run to the bush behind the dunes. The weather was wonderful, considering here at home was getting negitives, I didn't need the heater there 🙂 

@Zoe7  @eth  @outlander  @Mazarita  @Faith-and-Hope  @Shaz51 

Hi @Exoplanet  great to hear you had a fabulous time.  Can't see your pictures yet but I'm sure they'll be beautiful.  Good luck re-adjusting to the cold at home.  Nice to see you xx

So pleased for you @Exoplanet  .... and I love the pics ❣️

Love the pics @Exoplanet 💛💙💚

Stunning images @Exoplanet and so good to hear you arrived home safely Heart

Hello @greenpea (hugs, beautiful, love your flower Heart). Warm hellos to @Faith-and-Hope @outlander  @Zoe7@Sophia1.

I've only just started reading posts from since I last visited the forum some time ago.

Wondering how everyone is going with this historic time we are living through.

For me things feel wearing, deeply troubling, even though I live in Queensland which hasn't (yet) turned into a real hot spot. May it be free of that. The same for other places everywhere, may they become free of it as well in quickest time.

@Exoplanet I first saw your bird pictures scrolling big on my desktop from top to bottom and found myself literally saying wow. First happiness that you were there at the beach, you made it happen, and it was marvellous. Then the photos themselves, especially Sea Eagles, Speckled Bird. How did you get so close? Wonderful to see them all.

Then I read out of order your post about having a massage. Brilliant that you had that nurturance, so pleased to hear it. Your description of the body challenges, not thought through in advance, funny and beautiful. The fact you went with the flow and enjoyed it, yay!!!

Then I read what you said about the anxiety in the lead to the trip being all part of the excitement. I like that way of looking at it. And the reward being a great, life-affirming experience. Happy hugs, dear friend.

@eth I've only read one post in A Long Rave so far, and wonder how your life has been since our last meeting.

This year has been such a huge sleeping immobile slump here up until recently, maybe the last month or a bit more. I have started with a support worker. We went for our first hour-long 'walk and talk' on the beach on Friday. So good to be out in that wonderful place, while getting to know each other a little. We will continue weekly.

Occupational therapy and social work may be available for me as well for the next six months. The organisation assessed me over the phone and then offered a free-to-me, non-NDIS support program on referral from my GP. Also groups, which I would very much like to be part of, but I have not joined any yet as a health precaution.

I have been experiencing more physical pain and troubling symptoms like dizziness sometimes three or more times a day, head pressure, very noticable pulsatile tinnitus, other neurological things. This coupled with lack of diagnoses despite quite a few tests (MRI, CAT scan, 24 hour heart monitoring, blood tests galore), more coming.

Greater health worries than usual, most likely in an exaggerated way to some degree due to the slump state and just generalised anxiety I experience always, and more so at this time. Fully understandable, the mystery of the troubling symptoms and, more as I'm getting older, just stronger and more difficult pain all over my body in different ways, some worse than others. A vague queasy nausea keeps me from breakfast for a number of hours some days.

I know I'm probably going to just have to live with it as I get older. Even if diagnoses arrive, these conditions are very likely not fixable, maybe symptoms alleviated to some degree, like most of the chronic illnesses I have lived with and still do.

I've been thinking about the pain of aging and death in general, trying to find an acceptance and greater serenity with it, a broader philosophical perspective about how natural it is, part of the grand mystery of existence, of which I truly experience wonderment and gratitude.

I know some of this wisdom about life and death to some degree, but it's so easy to just say it or think it. Maybe I'm feeling it more, just a little, and am encouraging that tentatively and in small steps (that old cliche, true like many of them, I am guessing). So perhaps living better with the physical realities of life, somewhere amidst my fear, mostly of suffering. The fear of more of it to come.

I've been doing a lot of deep breathing at different times through each day, even when up and walking, in the toilet (lol), kitchen, outside, visiting close friend, etc, whenever I feel in a bit of trouble with things.

This is helping manage anxiety, relaxing body, even though it swings back to the tense painful state it was in very easily. My psychologist helped me understand a little more deeply recently that it's repetition of these things that starts the new and more helpful neural patterns, which then grow into more habitual responses as we continue.

For me the focus is on breathing. I have a 'breathe' sign on the wall above my computer and noticable from different parts of the main room, kitchen. I coloured it in and added small patterns within the large letters in the art class at the (sadly now closed) mental health hub near where I live.

Because I hear my pulse noticably in my head 24/7, I can also hear that deep breathing slows and quietens the blood through my veins very soon after starting to do it.

I read recently from a reputable source that deep breathing, even just the classic slow breathe in four, and that out four: this tells our sympathetic nervous system the danger we perceived has passed, allowing our bodies to calm down from fight-or-flight. I find this sets off an almost automatic whole body relaxation, not completely of course, but the body more relaxed than it was before. This has got to be a good thing in the long run. May relaxation grow for all of us.

In any case, since I was accepted by the new support organisation and knew I would be getting some psychosocial support, things have slowly been looking up with me. From past experience I know this kind of support helps me improve the quality of my life. Seems possible for this to happen even swimming against the tide of this difficult global time. May the onward and upward path continue for us all.

And in fact a slow upward direction seems to be happening, with more creative engagement and having completed now the first draft of a new video. The arrival of the pandemic almost completely halted film-making for me for months.. To have one at this stage of completion now is a really good sign of my engagement with what I love about life again.

Being able to sleep a bit less than the long, long hours happening for months, and sometimes in longer chunks than three hours.

Also I have been getting out for walks a little more lately. For most of this year doing that was almost never. Now a handful of trips to the beach and the beautiful wetland nature reserve near my friend's house.

So healing, calming, pleasurable to be in nature's company, marvelling at it, loving it.

Everything continuing on regardless of the human concerns. May we heal and be healed by nature.

Well wishes all. Heart

p.s. exo, just saw your shell and other beach photos. Fantastic!!! Heart

So good to hear from you Mazy @Mazarita ,

These times that we're going through are extreme, with a fear that's not been known in our
lifetimes. I have never known the sort of Government reactions Globally that have occurred
due to this pandemic. I became so obsessed with watching the numbers that I tried to stop
looking, then the Australian numbers started to rise & I'm back to having to check every
day. Before I went away the Australian number had stayed the same for weeks if not months,
when I returned it had risen by 20 - now it has nearly doubled. It all makes me even more
appreciative that I got away for a full week, 7 full days & 7 full nights - something I wanted
to do for many years. I think the current times enabled me, on top of my health issues, to
actually do it!

I'm so glad you noticed the Sea Eagles, I was thrilled to see them & get photos of them
{I took several, that was just the best one :)}. They were just sitting there on the branch of
a bare tree, on one of my walks along the beach. A few of my walks were 3-4 hours long,
I'd come to see the water & to walk the dogs somewhere different & I took advantage of
it! I mainly chose to walk along the direction that led away from the little suburb that my
cottage was in, into first farmlands & then bush. As soon as I saw them I began stopping &
taking photos & continued doing so until I was just before the base of the tree they were
in, & then I sat on a log & zoomed right in & got that shot! 🙂

The speckled bird was a regular visitor at the cabin, which had wonderfully established gardens
that created a marvellously private space. The birds that visited seemed to have no fear at
all of anything around them. I got that shot while I was sitting at one of the {there where
2} beautiful garden settings, having a smoke - he was virtually right in front of me!

The massage experience taught me something about good masseur . . . they're good psychologists!
It makes sense really, the whole idea is to relax the muscles & that can't be done unless the
mind is relaxed too 😉 I would say that particular massure's patience & gentleness made her
the most excellent, experienced & skilled masseur I'd ever been to!

I've spent many many years focusing on what anxiety & other thought & emotional processes
take away from my life - the negatives; & that focus didn't make me feel any better. I feel
better accepting my thought & emotional processes as a part of who I am, an essential form
of my individuality. Put more simply, I feel better thinking about what I can do rather than
what I can't 🙂

Don't be too hard on yourself for needing time to recover after your huge adventures, they
were absolutely worth it & I'm glad to hear that recovery is improving greatly now ❤️ Having
just come back from a week of luxurious walks on the beach I can understand your joy &
added positivity of the weekly anticipation of returning 🙂 ❤️

I can feel your improvement in the words that you write, looking forward to occupational
therapy, social work & joining groups. Even if those things don't occur, the fact that your
feeling positive about them is a leap in the right direction 🙂

Nobody can feel your pain but you, I'm sorry your going through that, but try to feel some
relief that all the tests you have had, have not resulted in a diagnoses - therefore meaning
you do not have any of those physical problems. Your brain is a major component of your
thought & emotional process - you gave it quite a work out during your adventures. None
of us get any younger, that doesn't mean we stop living, but it may mean our bodies take
a little longer to recover.

I suffered a lot of nausea, dizziness & joint pain in my life, doctors brushed it all off as anxiety.
I also used to hear my pulse in my head & worried a little that that might indicate some kind
of heart problem {though I never thought to mention it to a doctor}. But as these things
often didn't result in vomiting or passing out, & scans & xrays didn't show any physical
reasons for pain, I was never given any treatment apart from anti-depressants/anxiety etc.
But the nausea & dizziness does not affect me much at all anymore, in fact I'm really
starting to put on weight {can't say that doesn't bother me - but it's more than a relief to
be able to enjoy food again!} I guess what I'm trying to say is that you may not have to
suffer as much as you fear, your right that many symptoms can be managed & alleviated
very well ❤️

Your a very wise woman & you understand that your body is changing, that we never stay
the same. That includes our brains & our thought & emotional processes. Part of the mystery
is that each & every one of us is different, we are physically different which means our thought
& emotional processes are different - each & every one of us - I find that the most amazing
thing about humanity.

I'm not going to say don't worry, everything will be ok - because nobody knows. Instead I
will say I believe that no matter what the future holds for you, your thoughts & emotions
will process it in an intelligent & dignified manner ❤️ I believe that you will enhance your
neural pattens, which will grow into helpful habitual responses. The crunch of what I'm
saying is I believe in you ❤️

I know that saying I find breathing helpful can be seen as a joke, but I don't mean in staying
alive, I mean in managing & alleviating difficult thought & emotional processes. I tend to
visualize it as putting more oxygen into my blood, that then allows more oxygenated blood
to flow to my brain, which then assists my thought & emotional processes.

Well I think I've raved on long enough. Yay for the video, how I wish I could see your work!

Love to all that need or want it ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance