Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Everything Birds

Hi al Everything Birds

Has anyone noticed that sparrows are rare - even if they are with us at all

Someone mentioned this to me recently and of course - the Dawn Creation has not been quite the same without them

They used to be everywhere - their decline might be due to our keeping our cities and the areas around our homes free of food waste to discouraged vermin

And they used to be everywhere

Dec

They were always such friendly little birdsThey were always such friendly little birds

@Adge   How exquiste!  Learn something new about Australia every day, don't we I?  You're a bird lover, Adge?

@Adge   Yes, living alone can get monotonous can't it?  

@Owlunar   You're quite right, Dec.  Amazing how things slowly disappear.  I saw them overseas too if I remember correctly.  

I miss butterflies too.

Hi @Historylover I'm glad you like birds.

Yes, I keep several different types of finches (about 60), & parrots.

I'm a keen bird-watcher, & used to be a keen bushwalker (not much stamina now).

Adge

Living alone is not so much monotonous (for me) @Historylover

It's actually very isolating & lonely.

No company & no conversation (at home) at all - except when talking to my Cat & birds (they don't speak English)....

Adge

@Adge   Amazing that I hadn't tweaked that you are a bird lover with your profile picture - but I just assumed you liked the picture!  You are in Western Australia?  Are birds just an interest or are you involved in them in your occupation?  I don't know anything about birds myself.  We take so much for granted in our every day life.  I do, anyway.  @Dec has got me on the verge of buying binoculars to take up an interest in astronomy.  I have long had a niggling interest every time I have seen a telescope and thought I would love to have one.  It must be fascinating.  I have never seen through a telescope but @Dec has a considerable knowledge base on astronomy and says that she doesn't have one and that binoculars are enough.  So when the shops open again, I'll get a pair and embark on a journey of discovery.  And now I will be paying more interest to the birds around me when I am out on my daily walks.

I saw an incredible mess on the footpath when I was out for my walk recently and looked up to see two black parrots with a red crown 'spike' - pardon my terminology - which were pulling off small branches, stripping them of their seeds and dropping the leafy twigs on the footpath.  It looked like there had been a storm.  I was wishing I had my camera.  They were beautiful birds.  A pair.

And those pigeons with the noisy flight sound are about here too.  And the magpie's song is quite beautiful, isn't it?  I always love to hear it.

@Adge   I know what you mean about isolating & lonely.  I had got quite used to my own company but lately it is getting me down.  Perhaps it is made worse by the lockdown here.  The opportunity to chat online here is very heartening for many of us I think.  It has certainly lifted my spirits on a number of occasions.

I am able to go out for my daily exercise though and that is always a nice change from indoors - and more of the same.  I'll be paying more attention to the birds from now on.  

@Adge   Pity  that you aren't able to do your bush walking so much these days.  I enjoy my daily walks but it's only through the suburbs. 

Hi @Historylover I'm not even managing walks through the suburbs, these days - sounds a good idea.

Sorry, I'm not ignoring you - I'm doing a Topic Tuesday (forum) discussion right now, in the middle of it.

Plus I'm really tired, so I'm struggling to follow posts as they fly by at a great rate.

Adge

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance