Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Easy cooking options

Hi people,

I want to start a new thread to get us all engaged in talking about something more positive, for a change.

When I'm not coping well, I enjoy doing cooking. With that, I don't like cooking fancy meals most of the time. When I do cook something fancy, I have to be motivated and in a good frame of mind.

Tonight I'm cooking an oven bag of pork ribs. They're pre-made and you just heat them in the oven according to instructions on the box. You can then cook whatever else you want with them. This saves you from having to prepare an entire meal from scratch.

What do you guys like to cook, whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner, if you're down and out, can't cope, and don't want to prepare a big meal from scratch? Please keep the lovely thoughts, support, and wonderful ideas coming in! Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Easy cooking options

Following @Former-Member to read everyone's ideas. 

I totally understand not trying anything too complex or creative when I am not in a good headspace.

I struggle with keeping up iwth things like cooking. i try and do similar with ready type of things rather than 'from scratch' and add extra veggies (usually the frozen kind). or spinach leaves to pasta sauces etc (much to the disgust of one of the kids). Tonight was very flat so got a ready made lasagne (which for the price is cheaper than making it from scratch). 

I did try one of the box prep things but the cost of 'country area delivery' made it so expensive that just couldnt manage to keep it going, but it did inspire me to 'cook' more and they were healthy. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Millieme I love ready-made lasagna! I also like the larger trays of the lasagna that you bake in the oven. I agree though, it's hard to get delivery services for groceries and meals when fees are so expensive!

Hi @Former-Member @Millieme @LookingHopeful 

Cooking is one of those things that I have gotten to enjoy more so as I get older.

However, I have a different experience with it to what you first described @Former-Member 
- which over time I have gotten to use as a barometer.

You see when I am starting to or having times struggling it’s when my joy for cooking fades.
So having easy cooking options can make it a little easier in that respect.

I have a few easy go-to meals that I can rely on for those days.
For eg: Throw together pesto Pasta (often with chicken & green veggies I might have in fridge), Nachos & frozen salmon with veggies.

They don’t take long to cook & have elements that ingredients that I would have on the shelf like (beans, pasta & pesto) or not ‘fresh’ frozen fish & veggies. 

I might be a little late in discovering this but have also found that planning meals for the week, although a little time consuming at first, really useful b/c I can rely on having the ingredients on hand & not have to think about having to get groceries when I’m feeling flat.

Great thread!

A couple of standby meals for me are:

Eggs on toast with some cheese and whatever vegies I have around

Tofu with soba noodles and either frozen peas or soybeans (edamame) with a simple dressing

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Kermit I love eggs with cheese on toast! my other personal favourite is baked beans with cheese or tinned spaghetti with cheese. But tonight I'm going to cook some soup with vegetables, tuna and rice. If I had eggs I would be adding those as well but unfortunately I just have to go with what I've got. I have a habit of forgetting to put things away after I leave my kitchen when I finish cooking so I have to try to remember to pack everything in the freezer as I love soup and I don't want to waste any of it.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance