Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Bismuth
Senior Contributor

Anyone here for birdwatching? And maybe bird photography!

Hi, I know us birdwatchers can be pretty avid about what we do, so wondered if a thread for birdos could be a possibility. I’ve been birdwatching since I was 7 - my happiest memories from childhood are from Rotamah Island, when it was still owned by Birds Australia. I was a member, and one of my parents was allowed to accompany me to birdwatching weekends staying at the little house on the island. Happy days! 3 years ago I got a camera to take photos of birds. It’s my favourite thing to do. Here’s one I took near Bendigo of a New Holland Honeyeater, sorry the quality is severely downgraded by sharing here. What’s your favourite birdwatching place? Do you have a special place you go to watch birds? Please share!

E0F5B01D-5492-4C4D-A72B-E9CF4506376B.jpeg

45 REPLIES 45

Re: Anyone here for birdwatching? And maybe bird photography!

Heya @Bismuth! I'm new to birdwatching and I LOVE this idea! I think THIS is now the official bird-watching thread 🦉 I can add it to our list. 

My favourite bird-watching place is on a family members balcony is a town called Castlemaine. When I visit, I spend hours on there looking out over the town and watching birds. Recently, there have been SO MANY Superb Fairy Wrens (which are my favourite birds). But I love sitting there mindfully and just watching them go about their day.

I never get around to taking photos, but here is one of a superb fairy wren from the internet

I'm keen to hear tips on bird watching. I have a bird book and will try remember what they look and sounds like when I'm out so I can look them up when I'm home. 

superb-fairy-wren-rod-hartvigsen-1000x667-L2Q4610.jpeg

@TuxedoCat  Sounds like you’re on the right track - I think 60% of birdwatching is done with the ears. You usually hear a bird before you see it, and if you know the species from its call, then you know exactly what to look for, its behaviour and where it will likely be hiding. 
Superb Fairy Wrens are beautiful birds indeed, and so bold! I have many photos I’ve taken of them because they are fearless and therefore relatively easy to approach and photograph.

I know Castlemaine well - I have friends in Maldon, and have spent a lot of time in the area. It is a great place.

I’m not sure I have an absolute favourite bird, but I have a special liking of Spotted Pardalotes

I'm still learning the calls, but I love your tip about the calls indicating other behaviours. Such a useful tip @Bismuth 

And spotted pardalotes are beautiful! I have a family member (also in Castlemaine) who sees then out of his office window. Really makes me wish for the country life! 

2D6CF81F-E7EB-4856-8E55-8748D2015F3A.jpeg

Brown Thornbill - little cutie! Got this one this morning, he’s singing quite loudly for a little fella

Hi @Bismuth,

What an interesting thread! Your photo of a New Holland Honeyeater is beautiful.

I'm not really a bird watcher but I am a bird owner. I have had chickens in the past and currently own a cockatiel. I didn't realise how amazing birds were until I owned some. My chickens were incredibly smart and very friendly - one would always `tell me' they wanted a pat by squatting whenever I was around. 

My cockatiel is only a few months old but he already has the run of the house. I let him out of his cage for a few hours a day - he's most happiest sitting on my shoulder and interfering in everyones business. He's a real character!

I look forward to reading more of your posts and seeing your lovely pictures - thanks for sharing 🙂.

Warm regards,

FloatingFeather

@FloatingFeather  Cockatiels are marvellous pets, they’re so intelligent and affectionate. I can’t have any birds/chickens  because my assistance dog isn’t great with them - she doesn’t chase birds when we’re out, but it took some training and I don’t think she’d cope with them living in the same space! I would have loved a feathered companion, but watching them in the wild is just as good in a different way.

A008D9F4-32A3-47EB-A7DC-57DD080576E1.jpeg

@TuxedoCat  - I took this photo this morning at the wetlands near me, and thought of you. They really are lovely little birds

I hope you’re having a good day

You're a very talented photographer @Bismuth and what a gorgeous little bird!

Yes I agree with your comment around cockatiels - they are very clever and affectionate birds and a great pet to have if you can. I totally understand what you mean about your dog perhaps not appreciating a feathered little friend. Luckily for me I have two very lazy (and unmotivated to chase) pugs so my cockatiel is safe 😊.

Hope you are well - enjoy the bird watching!

FloatingFeather

Brown thornbills are so cute @Bismuth! And I saw a few new holland honey eaters while away!

I also wanted to say, I tried your tip for listening first. I heard a Bell Miner today and it was beautiful! I tried to spot it, but no luck. but it was such a beautiful call! Can't believe they're related to the noisy miner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kjK_JRA9O8 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance