Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

seagul
Contributor

pushing people away

Hello can anyone shed some light on pushing people away it never feels right and yet I find that I do it all the time as a self protection mode. Why does it seem to be a common practice are there times when this is wise?  It can't always be wrong. Is it possible to do this without wrecking relationships and hurting loved ones 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: pushing people away

Hi 👋🏻 @seagul and welcome to the forum. 😊

Ive been asking myself similar questions lately. I’ve pushed good friends away for a few years now. I’ve always had in the back of my mind that one day I’ll rekindle those friendships. I don’t know if it is possible yet but I don’t feel ready to either. 

I think its a protective mechanism like you said. As for family I know there are times when they’ve been hurt by my isolating. Over time though I think my family began to understand better when I was pushing away. Over the last 6 months I have started to communicate better with them rather than just shutting them out. It’s helped as I can have the time I need to myself when things are hard and they understand better and give me the space. 

I dont really know what the future holds with relationships and friendships but I’m just taking it one day at a time and know at some point I’ll try again. 

Im not sure if this helps. I just wanted to say hi and that I experience something similar in regards to relationships. 

Re: pushing people away

@seagul Hi

Smiley Happy

I have mixed feelings about it too.  Sometimes it seems like its the "boundaries" that people go on about.  Sometimes its self protective as I often need to be calm and quiet to centre and regroup.  Sometimes its just anger.  Sometimes those people may have stepped over a line .... ???  I guess it all depends ....  sorry not much light ... but its a good question.

Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance