Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Keti
Casual Contributor

ongoing problem

Hello,it's my first post.I talk to myself a lot , I have since I can remember but other people have noticed now at work and they look at me strangely . I feel very uncomfortable right now.

14 REPLIES 14

Re: ongoing problem

Hi @Keti,

Welcome to the Forums!

I think all of us talk to ourselves at some point! Some more than others.

Can you tell us a bit more about when you talk to yourself? For example - are there situations in particular that would cause you to talk to yourself?

I talk to my computer quite often (mostly when it does something to annoy me) I don't yell to disturb people, but just enough to get my frustration out, and I think that's healthy.

Here is an interesting article about talking to yourself.

Tell us a bit more about your situation @Keti - really glad you found us 🙂

Hi @Keti,

Welcome to the forums.

It takes a lot of strength and courage to post your story and I'm really glad you're sharing it with us. Smiley Happy

Talking to ourselves can be helpful in terms of knowing how to progress forward in situations, it can sometimes help get all our thoughts on the table. A kind of de-clutter if you will.

Similar process to the forums, this is a safe, and secure peer-peer support network, where individuals can share their experiences.

I wonder if other members have some thoughts on the topic of what your experiencing.

In particular @Chris @kenny66 @kristin @WombatBoots @Former-Member may have some further thoughts to bring to the table.

Again, welcome and thanks so much for posting, and hope to 'see you' around the forums.

Keep up that strength & stay groovy. Smiley Happy

Rhythm

Hi @Keti

I have talked to myself a lot, and know that sometimes I have not been healthy when gripped by an urge to express the thoughts in my head, but it was a better option than going completely stir crazy.. 

I think the 2 moderator posts are wise and balanced.

It happens when im driving or when im home alone .Sometimes its hard for me to tell people what I think ,that's why I talk to myself.

Welcome to the forum Keti,

I talk to myself quite a bit, especially at work, when I am programming. It's not usually an issue, but sometimes I swear a lot and don't realise which can get awkward. I just let my coworkers know that it is ok to interrupt me if I get annoying, if I change track for a bit it settles down.

I also have a bunch of minor vocal tics which pop up in response to intrusive thoughts, or just to say hi. Mostly they stay quiet around most people, but I have earned the odd startled look in public.

However I have found that pretty much everyone talks to themselves at some time or other, and most people can relate to getting caught doing so. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Keti,

Welcome to the forums, im glad you're here and don't think you're weird 😄

my kids ask me who im talking to alot.. especially in the car.. 🙂 And i always tell my coffee machine off when its not warming up quickly enough in the morning..

lj

some people are not talking to me at work now.Its very depressing.I really want to get help with this issue.Im talking to myself more than ever now and everyone is starting to notice.

It is just your expressive side .. but if nobody is willing to dialogue it is hard .. what kind of a worplace is it  retail ... hospitality  .. admin?

Have you tried counselling?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Sounds really difficult, and lonely 😞 

Have you talked to your boss at all? Might be a good place to start if you feel you could talk about the problems you are having. As @Appleblossom suggested maybe some outside help for you would be good, like counselling or talking to someone you trust? Lifeline/Beyond Blue have some good resources on their websites and databases for finding help near you as well i think.

LJ

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance