Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

lobotoman
Contributor

my mother had some kind of depression where...

... She said she needed to goto a fundamentalist church every week to cope from mental breakdown.

They were Bible quoters , usually stuff involving hell from abortion is murder, etc.

She was also very pushy that I make a lot of money from eg computer science degree. She said they made more money than doctors. Anyway, she was very snobby about my university course which wasn't computer scientific. Anyway she left me to marry an it person. A Christian. She very likely thinks I'm some odd loser today.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: my mother had some kind of depression where...

That is a sad story ...

unfortunately it is a bit like what my mother did to me .... push push ... snob about music in her case (but uneducated at first herself)  ... used religion to stay "questionably" sane ... and then reject me and my help and walk over me ... I am still a bit shocked ...

dunno what else to say ... but hope you get some help from the forums .. welcome

Thanks apple blossom.

But you cant be a .... that word ... which rhymes with but I dont use ..

as you developed a complex skill.

Being betrayed by family hurts though ... not a matter of intelligence or success really ... in my opinion

Hi and welcome,

I can hear how much your mother's behaviour has hurt you and I'm sorry that this has happened. I would highly recommend getting some sort of counselling for yourself as this has clearly left you with emotional scars which you need to heal.  From what you have written it appears that you suffered with a lot of psychological abuse as an unfortunate outcome of her own mental health issues.  You may want to read more about this on http://www.asca.org.au.  Discussing your story with others has great benefits to you.  You can also discuss this with your GP with a view to getting a referral to a psychologist (medicare will pay for up to 10 visits per annum).

Take care

Janna ❤️

Janna
You sound "more grounded "than your mother, who sounds like she is trying to "over compensate" for her" own inadaquensies "

Janna more power to you as it would appear you have largely come to terms with your mothers abusive atitude.
Just be true to yourself look the world in the eye and don't let the past " hold you back too much".
Obviously you would have some pyschological scaring from this but the world is not all bad.
Keep good company where you find friendship understanding support and a few laughs....I wish you well
PS some meditation with a group would be good for you ....Also make some good open minded friends as well...Cheers!

Obviously should have addressed the above to Lobotoman.....
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance