Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

opinions2019dec
Senior Contributor

Witts End, opinions ??

At a point of no return, lost soul, not done much in life ever since leaving school, and am from an non-english background (such disappoitment in many eyes).

Never had much interest in anything after leaving school after year 11 therefore never perused anything substantial. Have had no significant work skills.

Never really listend to the parents and always ended up doing silly things and mixed with bad characters in my youth days.

Never had confidence finding a nice job due to dylexia and hard of understand things and or patterns. find hard to relate with with others in public and in employment (come from humble and obedient home and never had the fight mentality as most have on the streets or workplace).

At a point where physical appearance looks like dead-man walking and others see it.

Am too far behind, the thought of catching up exhuasts me everytime.

Huge hole dug and now no return. umm yeah. thanks for reading this.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Witts End, opinions ??

Hi @opinions2019dec ,

Thanks for your post.  I hope you can find some connections here.  It might feel like a big hole, but, if you stay positive and keep trying I think you will work your way out of it.  Do you have any hobbies or interests?  Have you considered doing some volunteer work?  

I find it diffucult to relate and maintain friendships myselfs and can't offer much advice or help on that front.

With appearance and physical things, I would try and get into a routine and habit of walk and maybe jogging each day if you can.  Start out small and try and feel some accomplishment and satisfaction of doing that and then build it up gradually.  Can you swim?  That may be a good option to start out as its fairly low impact, but, effective.  

Anyway, wishing you all the best and to see around on the forums.  Happy to tag you into some of the social threads if you would like.  Quick forum tip is to type @ and then someones name so they get a notice when you reply... i did that above with you.

Take care 🙂

Hi @Gazza75 

Thank you for the positivty i much appricate it.

Yes i do some walking in the afteroons, walking and thinking about it all.

At the moment no real hobbies apart from sitting on the computere, hence furoms at the moment.

I'm at a point where the thought of work scares me becuase to be at work you have to be a good conversationalist which im not. This means i know work will fix my issues but it is far too late, far too gone.

Your welcome @opinions2019dec ,

That's great you are doing some walking already 🙂

One cheap hobby you might try is colouring in.. a few people on here do it.  I have done a little of it myself when i was in hospital last year.  It helps pass the time and also keeps the mind distracted / busy.  I've been doing diamond paintings more recently, but, thats a little more expensive and probably not everyones cup of tea.  Have you had any hobbies / interests in the past?  

Are you in a regional area or in a city?  We can't get to specific with locations here.

I know work can be challenging, even at the best of times.  I find it diffucult to interact with  people at first.  I find it easier in time as I get to know people.  I don't like large groups of people very much.  

Hi @Gazza75 

Walking for now allows for thought concentration, yes, tho, not impacrful.

I am little too old for colouring-in and at this point of time.

Location is local within Australia.

It isnt about the work, anybody can learn skills and get the job done, it more so about the social side of things wihtin in a workforce. I dont have any of this.

I saw a video on youtube once about a consumer who was feeling very negative about life..

She got a big jar and decided to write something fun she had always wanted to try, even if it was positive risk taking, down on little bits of paper and picked one out each day to try doing. This helped her dig her way out of the deep hole she was in and made every day an interesting one.  Just an idea.

I thought I had very little social skill or aptitude also before I began my current 2019 role working with people every day as my previous job did not neccessitate this social interaction. I started by going to the mental health coffee group in town and this opened my mind to the possibility of the career change. Others believed in me when I did not believe in myself which helped immensely. It was a challenging career change and took lots of effort and started with casual work but now I'm much more socially confident and still learning conversation skills. I'm 45 so its never too late to learn and experience new things, taking that first step is the hardest for sure but after that its much easier.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance