Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

DoinOk
Casual Contributor

Why such poor resources

I wa recently tried to get an appointment with a psychiatrist in Canberra and Queanbeyan. I was told that maybe in 6 months as the doctors triage their own patient's. I was recommended a Sydney Dr and got an appointment in 3 week's. I know the public service clinics do there best but they don't have time to get really involved.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Why such poor resources

Unfortunately to see a public system psychiatrist in the community can be very difficult unless you are already in the 'system' (eg. you've been hospitalised or referred by another service as urgent). I was told I'd have to find a private psychiatrist and although he bulk bills, I had to wait a number of months for an appointment even then. 3 weeks is pretty quick even in the private sector in my area (and I live in a capital city). 

@DoinOk That sure is a very long wait. Don't they understand that people need help today and not 6 months down the track?
This week I went back and got another referral to go back to my psychologist and when went to make an appointment was horrified that I had to wait 6 weeks to see her, but 6 months is ridiculous. I am lucky she had a cancellation and could go in 2 days time. I also think the fees are excessive - I paid $220 for a hour and you don't get that much back with insurance.
Hope you get to see someone decent soon.

Hi @DoinOk - Finding a public psychiatrist, particularly in smaller cities/towns/regional areas can be extremely difficult. I am glad to hear that you're able to travel up to Sydney for this appointment. I'm wondering if getting on a cancellation list would be an option, in case they can fit you in earlier?

@Sydphotog $220 for a psychologist is ridiculous. I am extremely grateful that I am currently seeing my psychologist under victims of crime (which means it is fully funded). I have been told that this funding will be ongoing, but even if it stops, my psychologist bulk-bills, which means it will be $84 / session. We are not an ideal match at all, but as someone on the disability pension, I can't afford to be too choosy.

I could never justify spending $220/hour on a psychologist. I really don't know how they can sleep at night charging such absurd amounts. I super hate how the whole world seems to revolve around money. Smiley Sad

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance