Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BambiFawn
Senior Contributor

What is the difference between a-typical psychosis and schizophrenia?

I was initially diagnosed with a-typical psychosis and not enough symptoms to warrant the diagnosis of schizophrenia when i was 26 after my sibling was murdered and in post partum period when my baby was 4 mths old.  later diagnosis was changed to schizo- affective then changed to paranoid schizophrenia? With this myriad of diagnosis, how do I know which best describes my illness please? Even ptsd chronic was brought up as a possible diagnosis.  What is the difference please bewteen these diagnoses?  For years my mother verbally abused me and after not sleeping I heard her voice in the tape of her verbal abuse and then heard a commentary on brother's death and then heard my mother, Aunt and fAther's voice.  What is this please? I had no confusion or delusions.  I was in reality when heard mother's voice primarily and knew it was not real. Thank u kindly.  Bless you.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: What is the difference between a-typical psychosis and schizophrenia?

Hi BambiFawn, welcome to the SANE forums. I am sure you will get some replies to your questions here.

Thanks a bunch of roses dear lovely Marchare. Hopefully soon, I can get some support and meet new friends here. The Sane website seems awesome!

Hello @BambiFawn

Thanks for sharing your experiences, there are some members on these forums who have experience with these symptoms, for example @Queenie started a thread called 'Oh no not again! - schizoaffective disorder ramblings' that you might like to read through.

There is also a thread by @wiggumy2 called 'Duel Diagnosis Bipolar type1and or Schizoaffective Addiction' that discusses duel diagnosis, it might also be worth reading through it.

Aswell as some Factsheets on the SANE website that have some more information about Psychosis and Schizophrenia symptoms, I will link them in below:

Psychosis Factsheet

Schizophrenia Factsheet

Take care,

Lunar 🙂

Dear Lunar, I don't suffer from bipolar at all. In fact my Psychiatrist said that I am euphymic with an even mood. 2 psychologists have done a state mental health exam and they don't believe I suffer from a psychotic illness but they believe i suffer from ptsd like when a soldier hears the Colonel's voice and war shells going off. But my Psychiatrist said it is mild schizophrenia without all the symptoms. I know that 3 psychiatrists initially said i had a typical psychosis or psychosis non specific and not schizophrenia. Moreover, as my mother was fighting me for custody of my child she embellished symptoms and lied to make my diagnosis sound more serious, it was then that i was later diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. But the psychologist said i suffer no paranoia and no delusions. I don't believe its paranoid schizophrenia and i prefer to call it the a-typical psychosis. In any case I was told in psychiatric report that i'm in remission of paranoid schizophrenia and 1/3rd go into remission.  Although, after receiving abusive text and e-mails from my mother, I have been acutely unwell again. Just unsure why such a myriad of diagnoses. Especially as I know I do not get paranoia, which is believing something false and out of reality that someone 'is out to get you.'  I  am in reality when I hear my mother's voice and know it is not real. I can reflect that in retrospect one psychiatrist did not believe me about my mother and that's probably why he changed my diagnosis.  And my mother would argue she never said to me what she had said and say that I was delusional over her words, which is untrue.  I have evidence of my mother's abuse with her abusive e-mails, but this took years to get,and i had no evidence at the time of the new diagnosis.But praise Jesus! I have evidence now so the health professionals cannot call me delusional lol.  

Hi there @BambiFawn

Oh I am sorry about that, I was just trying to add in some other members with similar symptoms, as no one person has the exact same symptoms as you, but it can be helpful to read how others cope with theirs and what type of support works for them.

Yes I can see how that would be confusing with all of these diagnosis' being discussed, it also sounds like receiving the correct diagnosis is something that is really important for you at the moment, is that because your mum is fighting you for custody? Are you getting some support for that? I can't imagine how stressful that would be for you.

Lunar

Dear lovely Lunar, Cat Very Happy

My child has grown up now but yes it was a difficult period in my life.  My mother continued to say derogatory things to me and disparage me to others sadly.  She pressed all my buttons and perpetuated the drama.  

I had some support through my Christian friends and a Solicitor friend at the time, who read my mother's e-mails and remarked ' she is vicious'.  I am pleased I have some good supports though.

My psychologist gave me some wise advice, she remarked ' It is my mother's problem and issue' and not mine. 

I am at present putting healthy boundaries in place with regards to my mother, which really helps.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance