Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

sara
Senior Contributor

Well I did it...

Hello everyone.

Well I did it and had my first therpy session....

I have to admit i nearly cancelled it in the morning before hand trying to find any excuse I could not to go but in the end it was an online friend that kicked my butt a bit and convinced me to go.

I feel strange about this as my RL friends and even family said I didnt need it that I would be fine once i found work and the devorce went though. That it took some one that i only know though the internet (admittly 5 years) to really see me...

I wanted to thank everybody here for your tips about going, I made some note cards before going which really helped at a couple of spots where I had trouble speaking (she did make a comment that it was a wonderfull idea).

I really like her as i was worried about going on prescription meds but she said she would rather go the natural path first with therpies (with her as well as possiably other typs too) and homopathy first. In this she has suggested Melatonin at night to help with the broken sleep pattern, which i picked up today and just took so finger crossed for the next few days (she said that it might take a few days to kick in)

I have my next session next Tuesday keep your finger crossed for me.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Well I did it...

@sara 

What fantastic news, congratulations, for taking that step, it would have been quite daunting, but i am glad someone was able to help encourage you along, It sounds like your psychologist is also very understanding, and it sounds like you have hit it off well, which is sometimes the tricky part.

Melatonin, works well to help with regulating sleep as it a naturally occuring in the body, sometimes a little bit extra makes a good difference.

You should be very proud of the way you have handled it all

well done 🙂

Onya @Sara! It is fantastic that you went against your feelings and took that positive action and went to your session!! Yay!! And melatonin can be really helpful for sleep...

Hi Sara. Please let us know how the Melatonin works. I was put on a particular anti-psychotic which was great at helping me to go to sleep, but made me drowsy the first half of the next day as I was only taking it PRN. Now I'm using it regularly (which I was supposed ot be doing) and it's no longer working as a sleep aid, but it's not causing morning drowsiness either. It's doesn't feel like it's doing anything at all.

Still, I'd be very interested in seeing if the Melatonin is any good. My sleep pattern isn't just broken, it's smashed!!

Hi @Ellie 

I have the same issue with my anti psychotic, at first it would destroy me, and i would bomb out massively, but now it doesn't seem to have a sedative effect anymore, there are a few things that can help tho.

Melatonin works well, it is a natural occuring chemical in the brain to help regulate sleep, you don't need a script for it, but i would recommend talking to your GP first, to make sure it isn't going to interfere with anything, i don't think it does, but best to check first, there are also other options available that are natural.

Perhaps have a chat with your GP about some options that might help, my gp and i were toying with the idea of a proper sedative for me, but given my addictive personality, it was not a good option,

Last time i spoke with my gp we were talking about melatonin supplement to help.

see how you go with your gp 🙂

Thanks Kato. I have to see my GP soon anyway, so I'll mention it then. I doubt it will interact with anything I'm on because they're such low doses, but you can never be too careful I suppose.

Ellie.

Hi everyone

The melatonin has been working wonderfully. I still have trouble falling asleep. But once I'm asleep I stay there!!
I haven't slept like this for years 🙂

So i had a 45min call from medicare-local about my daughters referral for therapy. They are putting her forward and i should find out thursday who will be her therapist and when her first appointment is.

My second therapist appointment is tomorrow feeling a little nervous but not as bad as last week.

Hi @sara 

That is such terrific news all around. The sleep is better (I might talk to my psych about trying melatonin as I am really struggling even more than usual with sleep), your therapy sounds like it has started really well - good on you for getting there!, and your little girl is getting help soon too. You have made such huge strides in a short space of time. Good for you!

I hope your session with your new psych goes really well tomorrow.

Hope for helpful help endures...

Kind reagrds, 

Kristin

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance