Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Ups and Downs of Husband`s Mental Illness

If we are treated as if we don't count when we are children then I think we put ourselves last when we are adults

I certainly started out that way but we do need to consider ourselves as a valuable person in our current families - 

We need to treat ourselves well to be in a position of treating others long term and if you are a carer then it's really necessary to have self-care and you more than just deserve it - you need it to be able to cope with all the situations that crop up being a carer.

I didn't consider myself as a carer when my son was around but that's what I was doing - being his carer - and if I hadn't learned to put myself first I don't think I would have lasted the duration as long as I did. I felt as if I was being really selfish at times but I was drained - and the way I coped was by going back to school and completely my eduation and I was told by so many people I was doing the wrong thing but where are those nay-sayers today - the people in my life then are not around now and I have my degree and my self-esteem

It was hard though - I often wonder now if being abused physicall, emotional or sexually when we are children causes us to have low self-esteem or whether it's because we are small and helpless and need everything done for us when we are small - we are not given a place of value when it comes to decisions and we are even told what to wear when we go to school - sent to Sunday School too - wearing our best clothes which we didn't choose - 

I guess nearly everyone wore hand-me-downs - that doesn't help with our self-esteem either

My mother was into physical and emotional abuse and kept it up through my lifetime which is why we didn't see each other for years - I kept away for my Mental Health - 

A good programme was on TV last night - on Insight - it was about estranged families - it was eerie sitting their listening to other people's stories. The stories of family breakdowns was familar even though the circumstances. I will post what time it is shown again at the weekend

Dec

@Shaz51 @Former-Member 

you are totally right @Smc 

thank you for that tip

I can see why i did not become a carer for mum

ohhh @Owlunar , @Former-Member , @Maggie , @Smc , @Appleblossom , @Determined , @Former-Member , @Adge 

ohhhh what a day !!!!!!!!

ohhh @Dec , @Darcy , @Maggie , @Smc , @Appleblossom , @Determined , @Sherry , @Adge , @Faith-and-Hope , @outlander , @greenpea , @Jacques ,what a day xx

today mr shaz is focusing on what family members are saying or imagining what they are saying  Smiley Sad

it is golly hard Smiley Sad

Oh @Shaz51  that does sound hard. Can you get away for a little while. Outside with the birds and trees, a cup of tea/coffee?

Hearing your weary post. 💜💕💜

thanks for being with me my @Maggie HeartHeart

cooking dinner now but soo glad you are here xoxo

how are you today

A rough ride today @Shaz51  but tomorrow is another day. What’s for dinner 😁😁 ?

chicken kebabs on rice  my @Maggie Smiley Very HappyHeart

yes tomorrow is another day xoxo

what are you having xxxx

Cuppa soup @Shaz51 .

Are you going to put your feet up after dinner? Pleeese say yes. 💕💜💕

@Shaz51    `today Mr Shaz is focusing on what family members are saying or imagining what they are saying  Smiley Sad

it is golly hard Smiley Sad`

While things are ok. for us at the moment in this area I feel your pain.

This has been an area of anxiety for darling over the years no matter how irrational her thoughts were  Smiley Sad

I have often felt as thought I was being made to choose between family and darling (both sides as bad as each other).

Trust this passes quickly for you. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance