Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our stories

Re: Ups and Downs of Husband`s Mental Illness

@Shaz51 that is good news. Being flexible = :ok_hand:

yes @Former-Member , @Former-Member 

finding routine is good for mr shaz but the trouble is you can not promise it is going to easy all the time

Had a look at the DSP rules @Shaz51  and don't quite understand the it all. @Smc might be more familiar with these but it looks as though to qualify for dsp you need to score a 20 in one category of the 'impairment table". It looks like if you get 20+ across categories, then a program of support applies where for 18 months to 3 years you need to be under a disability employment agency.

I am assuming that Mr Darcy's pdoc scored him as 20 or over as he qualified on first application and there was no mention of any program of support.  

https://www.dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/05_2012/dsp_impairment_final_tables.pdf

yes when I applied in 2009 @Former-Member , the lady said I missed out by 2 points

soo see what happens this time , fingers crossed for 2019

@Shaz51, @Former-Member, I know they do take into consideration impairment across categories. Because we've been applying based on neurological or psychological problems, it's a little less straightforward. What tips the balance isn't so much what the condition is, it's how it affects your day to day functioning. It's relatively easy to define how a physical condition affects function, but it can be quite tricky explaining the effects a psychological condition has day to day, particularly since it slowly reduces function, and so you gradually adapt over time until you run out of "room to move".
I'm assuming @Shaz51 that the "primary condition" for you will be physical, but it may be well worthwhile getting a pschologists' assessment as well. Almost any averagely-stressed MI carer will tick some of the boxes re. their own mental health.

have to make appt for myself @Smc , @Former-Member , @Maggie , @Appleblossom , @Owlunar , @Former-Member , @Determined , @outlander , @greenpea , @Faith-and-Hope 

alway put myself last -- not sure why !!!!

but puting mum and mr shaz first

I know what you mean @Shaz51  I think in part, it comes from a background of abuse, it rocks our sense of self, so everyone else is more important. I do hope you make that appointment for yourself. ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’•

I think in part, it comes from a background of abuse, it rocks our sense of self,--- ohhh @Maggie , I was emotionally and mentally abused when I was young until mum and i left but still got rejected by my father until i was 43

thank you my friend HeartHeart

i will try and ring tomorrow xx

@Shaz51 

I find I need to be intentional about following up on my own health needs too. 

I find I need to be intentional about following up on my own health needs too -- starting to think we real need to this  @Former-Member or we will never get to look after ourselves

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance