Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

kristin
Senior Contributor

Twitter hashtag worth a look?

Dear all.

I just found this on an article about Twitter hashtags, and some of you may be interested to have a look. 

"Lesser-known hashtag #TweetLikeANeurotypical points out the mistreatment of people not “neurotypical,” people who don’t have mental illness or brain disorders. Like many of these hashtags, it’s typically used to share experiences, representing anyone whose brain doesn’t function the way our society seems to think it should.

Examples include venting about people who dismiss the common symptoms of mental illness; talking about how hard it is for family members to “deal with” autistic individuals; and misusing terms like “OCD” (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder).

Though mental illness is extremely common—and developmental variations like those on the autism spectrum are becoming better understood—a massive amount of stigma still surrounds it. The very idea of “neurotypical” (and “neuro-atypical”) is unknown to most people. Hashtags like this are only beginning to raise awareness."

A lot of what's there seems to be sarcastic/caustic comments quotes of the horrid tings people say. We are not alone...

Alone we are drops in a sometimes hostile ocean, together we are the turning of the tide (or a tsunami maybe , as a friend said).

Kind regards,

Kristin

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Twitter hashtag worth a look?

Wow!

I don't tweet. I am too old to condense my thoughts into a 150 characters.

But my Goodness, there is so much ignorance. Not just MI but neurological conditions and personality types as well.

"Hi functioning socio path" ? WTF?

The person who damaged me was a H F sociopath at best. 

Is sociopathy something to live up to? Is it really a personality type to hold in hi esteem?

Do they even understand what a sociopath is?

I am often amazed and disapointed at the direction we are heading as a species. There has been so much growth in humanity over the last few centuries.

But in the last two decades we seem to be falling into a level of moral and intellectual decadence which mirrors the last days of  Greek and Roman ascendance. 

I know it's all very funny. But in the end I can't help but see this trend as being disturbing.

Probably reading too much into it.....................

No, they probably don't know what a sociopath is. They are more likely referencing the TV show Sherlock where he says, "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath." People think that's cute.

@Peppermint 

I've known quite a few sociopaths in my day and I have'nt experienced them as cute.

Many entrpeneurs and million/billionaires are sociopathic.

The ability to function in a world without engaging it emotionally or morally is common enough without trying to make it cool.

this stuff just really burns me. I worry for the world and it's people I truly do.

But one must hope because.......

Hope endures

Rick

Hey @Rick 

So sorry to have put you on a bummer. I didn't see any of those HF sociopath comments, I guess they're newer or I didn't read down far enough. How revolting. 

Thx @Peppermint for the connection. I must talk to my teenage daughter about that as she loves modern Sherlock. I want her to know the difference.

Kindest regards,

Kristin

PS I know what you mean about frightening similarities between current Western culture and the decline of ancient Roman and Greek empires - I see it too. Scary!

@kristin 

Hi Kristin,

No bummer. Just a sad observation. People still dismiss MI at the same time as we reward aberrant personality traits.

We can change this is we yell loud enough and often enough.

Hope enduring

Rick

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance