Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Isabelle
Senior Contributor

Trying to be proactive

Hey Everyone,

I hope all is going okay if not better for those seeing this. 

Like lots of people at the moment, I'm finding that the current situation of the world is amplifying symptoms and making life tougher than usual. So I'm trying to be proactive, I know that I am slipping, and that's okay, it's part of recovery isnt it? Some steps forward, some steps back, as long as we keep moving, we're okay yeah? 

Anywho, I guess my main cause of concern at the moment is dissociation. I've been diagnosed with CPTSD and DID, which I've been getting help for for the last 3 years. I'm generally good at managing these things but the stress of the unknown and feeling like I don't have control is making me feel a little blurry?

If anyone has any bits of advice on maybe how to help, I would appreciate it. 🙂 I have tried grounding exercises through mindful walking, mindful eating, and exercise but it's still lingering there.

Have a good night 🙂

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Trying to be proactive

Hi @Isabelle 

I would like to take this chance to welcome you to the forum - it's really good to see you hear and I notice you have already been posting so this is a good start

It's really normal to feel uncertain and blurry in such times - we are always affected by events that take us over like the COVID-19 happens. 

I certainly remember 9/11 and how that affected us all - how shocked we were and my earliest memory was Hiroshima - I was only a small child but I do remember being very frightened - something picked up from my parents and grandparents I am sure - I am a bit further on in years than many - and perhas the current sitatuation does bother me less - and that's a good thing about getting older 

Really - I don't know much about DID but I have had PTSD and recovered - doing what you are doing and reaching out to other people on-line - like ourselves is a good thing - also getting plenty of sleep and eating a balanced diet as you are help to. Follow the guidelines and also - realise we are all helpless in the face of this disaster and can't change so much and it's better to put all that on the back-burner as much as possible

The rest is day by day and if you look into the social spaces here there are ideas and activities people are posting about - having a sense of humour is one of the best things and we are opening threads that are more light-hearted

I'm glad you have found us and again - welcome - 

Dec - 

Thank you so much for the warm welcome - I am feeling like reaching out here was a good idea. I appreciate your words from experience and will certainly take them into cosideration. Thank you again. 🙂

hello @Isabelle 

how are you going today 

letting you know you are not alone my friend 

one step at a time is a great start and we have lots of threads here with lots of advice and suggestions 

will tag you in some threads 

what hobbies do you like ?

and have you got some furbabies ?

Remember to put a @ in front of members name so they will get you email message so they can reply to you 

Hello @Isabelle Heart

@-Liz- 

Hi @Shaz51  thank you for your reply and kind words. I would greatly appreciate being tagged in posts that you think would be relevant and helpful 🙂 

Hobbies wise: I really enjoy candle making, crochet (although I'm rubbish at it haha) and I love researching topics relevant to my studies in medical lab sciences 🙂 how about you? What hobbies do you like?

I have a feathered baby, a rescue indian ringneck parrot called daisy. 😍 do you have many pets? 

Thank you for the tip there about the tagging 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Isabelle , I'm sorry you're struggling with a lot, it must be hard for you. I hope your therapy is working for you, and you feel comfortable. Best of luck with everything.

By the way, your profile picture is adorable!

Hi @Former-Member , Thanks for the well wishes 🙂 It's appreciated.

Hahaha, thank you! It's from this silly kids cartoon called Molang, it's very cute and simple which is something my soul needs from time to time 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Isabelle you're welcome and oh cool, cute

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance