Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

eudemonism
Senior Contributor

The system debacle

I been dealing with professionals from the system for around twelve years now. Meaning, psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors of different types, doctors, nurses, support workers, mental illness social groups, and emergency telephone line numbers. And its very much so churned me out and left me very disheartened.

They are all basing their involvement with me around there bring something wrong. And then supposedly having the answers. Which i think is a joke.

Its gotten to the point where i figure its just what life is about. And its just how the system works.

Its basically likea fairytale that im left trying to work out. And all this nonsense of them supposedly having the answers and knowing whats going on. Is a very toxic scenario! That leaves me feeling like I should be listening to them and their advice. When really its about what i need.

I wish they'd gotten their story straight from the word go. So I'm not left feeling unsure of what's going on.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: The system debacle

Hi @eudemonism

I understand - at least- I think I do

You tell your professional health care workers your story and how you are getting along with the world and if you are seeing them something must be wrong

But they don't tell you

Arrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhh - I don't think they know either - I have been through this myself

For many years I was in what was called psycho-analysis - very popular in the United States - it was the way to go!!

It was a huge commitment - as my ex-h and I were low income earners it was paid for my Medicare - I saw a psychiatrist - for one hour three times a week.

Actually I think it was 50 minutes - when the doctor kept cutting me off at 50 minutes I asked if the clock could be where I could see it and I would know when to draw things together

So I went and talked and talked and since then I have learned that the idea is alled Free Association - the patient is supposed to listen to themselves and yes - 

We have to find the answers within ourselves

My depression and anxiety was caused by outside influences - as time passed things changed - of course - they will even if it seems they never will - and now I am in this forum because those years have left their marks and I have to live with the past because it is real - it did happen

I don't know you so I can't tell what is happening in your life - but the bottom line is that you have to work it out. No doubt the workers have some ideas - eg - it's normal to feel that way - when we can find the base line they will tell us I guess

I have had better success with psychologists - the last one I saw - my last session - told me that what had happened was real and I was scarred from it - and what pain I have now is real - also - she cannot possibly tell how her clients understand and take on what she had told them

I have been fine since that day - we are all due for our epiphany - this was mine - or one of them

Maybe you are even more confused - but the answers are within us - we need someone to listen when we talk but in the long run only we can help ourselves

But it's not a waste to see someone - only we can assess if the person is helpful for us - for each person individually

I wish you the best - it's not an easy journey - and whatever the journey - it's our journey

Dec

Im doing fine thanks @Owlunar life has its ups and downs like it does for everyone... but, i am disappointed because i feel i could be doing so much more and getting so much more out of life. (Meanwhile im looked upon as a disposable object bye society ) so it has become a case of having to push and persevere for what i am wanting my life to be like. And its up too me, myself and i too make it happen. Otherwise, aint nothing gonna be happening.

Morning @Owlunar I did enjoy reading your comment. It made me realise and think about what you said 'the patient is suppose to listen to themselves' aka Free Association. That makes sense to me now when I think of my regular visits to my pyschologist. Is weird tho I've been going for a year and the last 3 months I've just heard myself. Now I want direction and a plan to work towards recovery meaning for me 'to look after myself'. I found validation too in this session, it was scary and I freaked a few times.
I agree the journey is not easy but it is our journey. Enjoy your day today @Owlunar

Hi @eudemonism,

I agree with @Owlunar. To me, it sounds like you are giving the mental health professionals too much power in your life. They are there as a resource only.

Of course, if you are desperately sick you would feel like you have to do everything they say and have some level of trust in them. I know I did. I was extrememly ill with depression and I had no other option but to trust my psychiatrist and take the medication as perscribed. 

However, even then, I was still able to ask questions and steer the course of my treatment to some degree. If fact, I believe that most health professionals are happiest when their patients do ask questions and do give their own personal opinions as to what is going on! If you come accross a therapist who only wants to talk at you rather than to youthen I think you should be very wary. You may want to let that person go.

@eudemonism, human beings are very complex. It might be almost impossible to understand exactly why we do things, 100% of the time. We don't even know ourselves, why should we expect someone else to know us better than ourselves?

The things that helped me most in life where:

1. leaving a relationship that wasn't supportive 

2. leaving a job I basically hated

3. pushing myself to resume study and to pursue my creative side

4. exercising, including yoga

5. telling people how I really felt- even when they were not going to like it

6. keeping some distance from my toxic parents and giving up trying to solve their issues

7. getting adequate sleep, relaxation, and downtime. 

8. learning to say 'no'.

Getting treatment for depression led me in the right direction, but I still had to decide all these things for myself. 

Indeed @Sahara human beings are complex. It's not easy for me to understand the things I think and I always, always try to be logical and theorise , how I am. I like No. 5 on your list...as most ppl say to me to be 'honest' about how I'm going but No.5 gives me the choice. I've not made a list yet but I will. I'm at the stage when I've decided not to let ppl use me and dump their crap on me. I'm easy going and do care for others. I'm not sure why I let ppl do that to me - slot No. 8 in there for me.

I think it sums up what im talking about

I have trouble taking in and replying to information that i am in enmity with (whomever it may be from and whatever it maybe about ) but when it comes to practical, logical, reasonable and plausible advice. I'm all ears and understand it perfectly well. Ok?

I'm all about dealing with the psychological problems I'm faced with in the heat of the moment. And i have a look forward approach. And look forward based on what i know in the now. And it boils down to insight, intuition, information and integrity. Among other things. -What i need. Plus peace of mind are first.

Acceptance is also hugely important. And knowing that i choose to be on stand bye mode. And knowing i have the options i want. In front of me. To do what i need too do. So I'm maintaining serenity, tranquility and in a mindful state of my surroundings. And able to make the best decision for myself.

I'm a hermit, a recluse, i love solitude, and my own company. And i love living a holistic, simplistic and minimalistic lifestyle. Plus, being a quiet achiever on the side. And being able to do what i need too. When i need too do it. Amen. God bless.

I know my stuff just as mush as anyone else.

@eudemonism.
Great topic. When I'm at my 'sickest' - that's when I need to rely on my treating team - to know what's right for me. I'm lucky. I have a psychologist who I trust and have just found a psychiatrist who I can finally work with.
But when I'm not so 'sick' & I can start to 'think' for myself a bit better, that's when listening to self and doing what is right for me, comes into play. That's when I ask lots of questions from my team. That's when I start setting small achievable goals. And then bigger goals.
Our treatment teams are meant to be there for us. We are not a one size fits all 'project'. We need to be heard. By them and by ourselves.
We do have more power over our own lives, than we realize. Maje sure your treating team know that YOU hold the power, not them.
I wish you well on your journey.

@eudemonism. Live your name by the way. Just looked up the meaning.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance