Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Chris
Senior Contributor

So what did I achieve today?

Well I got dressed! hurray for me, the first time in two days

I made my bed Hurray for me. My bedroom looks tidy

I cleaned my ensuite Double hurry for me. It badly needed doing.

I cleaned gingers cat litter. Im sure he was pleased!

On a serious note I acknowledged suicidal thoughts as just that thoughts. I didn't act on them

I somehow worked through the stress and agitation I felt

I had a sleep on the bed, but only for an hour, not the whole afternoon.

So how do I feel now? OK safe. Pleased with myself that I did accomplish something today.

52 REPLIES 52

Re: So what did I achieve today?

That's awesome @Chris  - did you use any particular strategy?

I was thinking about what I achieved today.... hmmmm

- washing

- went for a walk

-bought 1 Christmas present (1 down, 1 million to go!)

It feels pretty rewarding reflecting on what you've achieved!

Thanks for sharing Chris!

Wow, what a great, uncomplicated post, @Chris !  Thanks so much.

To be really honest, I can't say I achieved anything today.  Except, maybe ... well, I smiled at your post.  So there ya go, I heard you! 😉

Cheers,

Aonaran

(Actually, I just thought of something I did do today:  resisted going to Maccas when I got a hankering.  Haven't been there in yonks, and I'm trying so hard to get healthy, but I still get cravings.  I think it's the sugar and fat -- I've read they're tougher addictions to break than nicotine.)

Wow @Chris Woman Happy

It sounds like you achieved an awful lot, with the physical tasks being the smaller part of it. It sounds like you took a big step forward in handling those intensely painful thoughts differently (mindfully). You didn't let them stop you from doing what you wanted to do. Nor did you let them stop you from being gentle enough with yourself to allow some rest in the day.

Please take note, and remind yourself. It is so easy to miss this, when we can do something then it becomes relatively easy (like breaking the sound barrier, we know we can do it again). So a very human tendency is to overlook how hard that was before, and look at the next hurdle instead. Giving ourselves a "well done" pat on the back helps make each new step that bit easier.

BTW I'm not suggesting that you won't ever struggle with this stuff again (although I do hope that may be so), but that having managed it better once will help improve how you can deal with it in future. So hats off to you.

Here's something I wrote last year when grappling with mindfulness and beginning to use it. I hope you like it 

Willingly (Skeletons II)

I peer in upon them
Hideous and apparently leering
Back at me
They hiss and rattle
Frighteningly
I fight the overpowering urge
To slam the closet door

I will myself to look again
They are cowering
Terrified of me
Bearing a lifetime of scars:
From harsh judgements,
Overlaid upon abuse –
Others’, and mine

I recognise them now,
Malformed from all
They’ve had to endure,
And perceive in their fragility
A strange and moving beauty
Silenced for so long, yet
They inspire my creativity

I grasp my courage;
I reach out and embrace them willingly
Their confronting ugliness
And painful brokenness
Are all mine.
They hold essential parts of me
And I choose to grow more whole.

Kristin © May 2013

Kindest regards Heart

Wow I can so relate Chris. Except you had the guts to talk about it.

Thank you

Rick

well I guess I used mindfulness to help me achieve one thing at a time,just focus on that one thing.Intrusive thoughts were there,but I just tried to acknoledge them and let them go,rather than hanging on to them.I need to practice mindfulness more.I know it works,and like anything, the more you practice the easier it becomes. sO today I got up earlier. Not dressed yet.My darling boy is on my knee(which he doesn't do too often)I am enjoying my cats companionship.

Yeah, good on you for resisting macca's,and Im pleased I put a smile on your face! I think sometime we forget about our small achievements, when everything looks so black and overwhelming.Maybe we could keep this running as a reminder to ourselves, we can achieve something positive each day And we can feel good about ourselves.I am trying to hang on to anything that is positive in only the slightest way.Ive been in a dark place for a very long time, and I want to come into the light.Don't mean to sound melodramatic. think I better stop while im ahead.

So Ginger went off to one of his hidey holes and I had a shower and got dressed.Rang my sister as she is unwell, but improving she tells me.Out for lunch today, and just hoping it wont be crowded .

Thanks for the acknowledgement, @Chris . 😉

Hope lunch was a success.

OK, I seem to be avoiding doing practical things. (I've got the hedge out the front half-trimmed, but can't seem to get myself back out there with the shears in my hands.  And it frankly looks absurd;  even I haven't found a way to squint at it that makes it look like anything but an unfinished job.)

So what did I achieve today?  Well, it's trivial, but I reformatted a book I really want to read, one that I have in an old PDF, into a laid-out and spelling-checked ePub so I can take it to the park and read it on my Kobo.  Maybe that counts for something.

And I've lost 9 kgs in the last month.  27 more to go to hit my target BMI.

kristin Bloody beautiful.

loopy

Sounds if hands clapping and hooting like a good line up on a surf break..lits if hooting and cheering! Love everyone's posts! Great ideas and strategies and lots of affirming of well won changes of ways..woohoo we are getting things done on our own terms!!! Not sure how to express this mindfully but smiley emoticons would help 🙂 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance