Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Flying_Hams
Community Guide

Slaying a dragon

For a while I was thinking my dad had been cheating. I saw him using gay apps. 

I was unsure if I should approach the topic last night but I had to. 

When I did I got upset (in a good way) about how it didn't change my opinion on him and that I still remember how upset he got when i told him I wanted to end my own life. 

But I also said I had no idea how to raise it with him in the past 5 years.

Well now I slayed that dragon that was stalking me. 

I really was gentle and didn't get angry. 

Part of me feels bad. But I think it had to be said. It was too much after 5 years of repressing it  

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Slaying a dragon

There is so much floating around in the media about those things @Flying_Hams 

Glad you felt you could bring it up, and I am guessing he reassured you that he was not.  To be able to speak one's mind about everything including fears and doubts, is important in close relationships.  Sadly, I have not had it myself.  I have tried but the circumstances were not well enough resourced in all the basic hierarchy of needs.

I guess if a fear or doubt is left to fester it grows into a dragon.  One down.

Hey @Appleblossom
Thanks for posting

Funnily enough I was thinking of you when I posted it.

The idea of slaying a dragon is actually from JBP - I know we have shared about him before in fact.

After I spoke to mum and dad about this last night tbh I think they may have been shocked by me saying anything.

I did say that maybe this was part of growing up too.

Hey @Flying_Hams 

It is huge to be able to discuss issues around sexuality and procreation with parents ( realities not just ideals).

Ha ha but JBP did not invent dragons ... or slaying them ... its imagery that has been around a long time in different contexts.

Someone said it once to me when I was young (early 20s). I did not have a clue what they meant then.  Now I do.  

Always good to see you around.

Cheers Mate

Indeed @Appleblossom

I slept really well last night for once

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gaCiKQbMLcY

For reference this was also a good one @Appleblossom

You know I am partial to Tealc and his 'indeeds'!

@Flying_Hams lol

Glad you slept well.

Joseph Campbell and Jung

hmmmm ...

Ego out of a job ... like that ... and of course ye ole Skyhooks ... and ego is not a dirty word ... 

For a while I do not think I had much of an "I" and actually worked on it, partly by "I" statements to ensure I was positioning myself, but disciplined in not making too many You statements and overgeneralising.

animals might think they are creative ...  bees buzz and dance and make honey ....  guy at church ... got us thinking about Bee-attitudes ...

just speculating lol

Ego and Self are not quite the same.... 

Good link

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance