Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Alex1991
Casual Contributor

Seeking advice in regards to weight gain from bipolar disorder medication

Hi there, 

My name is Alex and I am seeking some advise/information on behalf of my wife. About 8 months ago my wife was hospitalised following the unexpected death of her mother. Shortly after being admitted we found out that my wife was suffering from and being treated for bipolar disorder. Over the past few months my wife has made a profound improvement with her mental health. However, as of recently I have become more concerned about her weight gain. I understand that a lot of the weight gain has been contributed from the medication she is taking. The biggest challenge I am facing with this issue is getting her motivated to do any sort of physical activity.

Does anyone have any experience on how they faced a similar situation? Does anyone have any advice on what weight loss supplements, medication or even physical activity that may be helpful for my wife and the situation she is facing?

Thankyou, Alex

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Seeking advice in regards to weight gain from bipolar disorder medication

@Alex1991 Hi Alex1991 and welcome to the forums. I have bipolar1 and schizo and yes the medication has put on weight. Quite alot really but what I found was living on a strict diet of healthy food with the occasional snack really helps. Also living in the knowledge that having the symptoms of bipolar (bp) controlled with medication and some weight gain is better than being unmedicated and being out of control.

Her self image will be taking a battering so stay positive with gentle walking regimes together are best and of course being realistic about what can and cannot be done with this illness.

All the best.

greenpea

Hello @Alex1991

My husband put on a great deal of weight quite rapidly with crisis treatment for his BPii. As he was able to drop some of the crisis medication he became more motivated and was able to resume walking the dog and has lost some of the weight he gained.

There are a number of treatment options for bipolar, a lot of decision about these are based on presenting symptoms and factors such as whether or not pregnancy is being considered. It is important that concerns regarding weight and motivation issues are conveyed to pdoc. Generally the first priority is stability. Mr D had issues with constipation too.

Healthy eating is good for us all, bipolar or not and perhaps starting with that might be an option to consider. Cutting back on sugar, having plenty of veg, having less meat, more fish etc.

I think it is very important to remember that our loved ones are far more than what they weigh and that tenderness and compassion are oh so necessary.

Darcy

Thankyou Greenpea

Thanks Darcy

Hi @Alex1991

I have bipolar 1 and have gained about 40kgs in the past eight years on the meds prescribed. I'm now in the process of changing one to try to halt this weight gain. Early days so far but I am hopeful of some improvement over time.

I've also been on the SANE forums for about 3-4 years now. I can tell you that weight gain is the single most complained about problem with psych medications.

In my view, the best thing you can do for your partner is to completely support them regardless of weight gain, which really can be unavoidable. Gentle encouragement of exercise and small eating is probably the only other thing that can be done, aside from talking to the psychiatrist about the problem. They may be able to prescribe a different medication, but that would depend on how things are with your partner's mental health.

I've walked the beach across the road from me hundreds of times in the past few years, keeping up the exercise. I eat small due to Crohns Disease. Still, the weight has continued to pile on. Try to show them you still love them regardless of how much weight they gain, as it is really horrible for the person experiencing the weight gain. They are still the same person, just more to love. Woman Happy

hello @Mazarita, @Alex1991, @Former-Member, @greenpea

Large weight gain has effects on other health eg heart
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance