Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

LFS
Senior Contributor

STIGMA

I live in a small rural area, where i receive alot of stigma for having a mental illness,and there is very little support. Any idea's for combating this would be much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: STIGMA

Hi @LFS. Welcome to the forum. There are a few people here who come from country areas. Some others, like me, feel isolated for other reasons and find some support here in this online community. Feel free to join into discussions and tell us more about you.

Hi @LFS,

Welcome to the forums, their are many great people on here, i hope you feel welcome, their are many great events on here every week for every one to participate in.

My name is @Jacques, i come from a small rural town of 3,000 people, i have had stigma all the time i have lived here for not being a "Local" and compounded with mental illness, it is not pleasent.  Have you thought of joining a local women/mens groups, i know in my town they have a mens shed and a womens knitting group where people of all ages are welcome, maybe make 1 or 2 friends. 

It is difficult trying to fit in, i don't know your specific situation but maybe look into joining a book club or something, anything you enjoy doing to try and "break the ice", i am sure once people get to know you they will loose their prejudice.

I hope this forum will help you find some help and coping skills, and i hope to see you around the forum.

Take Care

Jacques

Hi there, LFS Smiley Happy

Welcome to the forum!

I acknowledge that it can be difficult living in a small community and feeling stigma and social isolation. I think that it is wonderful that you have taken a step to combat this by joining the forum. Many individuals find it helpful to share their stories and experiences in a safe and supportive environment. I think it is nice to be a part of an enviornment (even though it is not face to face), that does not stigmatise mental health. 

I hope you find this helpful too Smiley Happy

Bubbly 

Ps- This is a link to a thread you may want to check out on Stigma. There is also an inspirational video. 

Smiley Happy

LFS
Senior Contributor

Some people in the community have been pretty good to me, where some others have treated me very badly. I was going really well coping with my mental illness from around 2010 to late 2013, where I was working hard shearing and being a farm hand. Unfortunately my mental health condition worsened in late 2013, where i can now do little work, and cop alot of crittism from people because of this, and my medication dose has been doubled, and the medication make's me very tired.

Alot of people treat me as i'm something to be feared, and is worse with females

I stil play competive sports, being aussie rules football and table tennis in the winter, and tennis in the summer.

I have been looking to go to a mental health support group in my area, all i can find is MIFSA, where they go and do activities together, which may be worth going to. I've gone to a Grow support group two times when i've been visiting my brother in Adelaide, which i have found very good, where your in a group setting in  a room and talk about things and support each other, I wish we had one in our area, the closest grow support group to drive to is three hours away, so that's why i've come on here trying to get some support.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I'm not sure it this is stigma.. but since i seperated from my partner, and then later on let a few people know about my depression and fewer people still about the ptsd. But i've got quite a bit of, things are better now, you can just move on. Theres nothing holding you back except you. and to a certain extent i guess its true.. in that only i can change things or keep wroking on things and fight the depression and other symptoms but i dont think people understand how hard or... deep the illness/injuries are sometimes.

just my 2c worth hehe

LJ

Hi @LFS,

Well at least some people like you, in the town i live, no one likes me, they are all terrified of me and i know what you mean about women, they are so scared of me they cross the road if they see me, they confuse my anxious sate for agression, so everyone stays away from me.  I have no friends, i am all alone, i only have my mother for company.

I am aleways tired too, i can only stay awake for 3 hour stretches at a time before i have to sleep, and i am always lathargic.

It is good you are into sports and groups sports too, keep going i made the mistak of cutting every one out of my life and became completely house bound, i have been this way for 14 years, please don't go down the track i have, keep some social contact.

I am on DSP because of my agoraphobia, i have been called all the names people are called on welfare, some of my family and some of mum's friends regularly tell me these things, you are not alone their, the poor or disadvantaged are always a target for those with no problems or those that are better off.

It sounds like you have found some groups in your area, i hope you find something that suits you, that makes you comfortable and gives you the support and guidance you deserve.

Good luck on your journey @LFS, take care, Be safe

Jacques

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance