Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Liz76
Casual Contributor

Ptsd and work place bullying

Hi everyone.. I'm new to this so I hope I can get some help or advice from you all.

Firstly, I am a retired police officer, medically retired from chronic ptsd, anxiety and depression.i have struggled for years and have been cared for by police insurers and drs to try to get back some sense of a normal life.  I felt well enough to return to a workplace and obtained a government job where I am highly qualified however, about 5 months into it my team leader changed my working arrangements, stopped me from attending meetings and refused to allow me to join a workplace committee because i didnt ask her permission. I was not allowed to attend appointments that inconvenienced her, make decisions, or speak with the public longer than 5 minutes. She would give me 'job' lists and make me take home work items in my private vehicle for the weekend to drop at other offices. She also controlled my desk phone and would often comment on my workload in front of the office trainee who she allows to do nothing all day and rewards him. I drive 50 minutes to work daily and 50 minutes home. She will ring other offices and asks staff if i am sitting where she had told me to sit. I was also informed I needed to 'slim down'. I have reported this to HR and they sent both the bullies to the office to confront me without warning and without support. I ended up taking 3 weeks off special leave however, I have been back a week and they moved me to another office and I am not allowed to speak of what happened to me.. I feel as though I am losing my mind.. I can't sleep I can't think straight and I can't focus. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Ptsd and work place bullying

I'm sorry to hear this is happening @Liz76 . It seems so unfair that after all your service and dedication, that people can treat you in that way. Can the current situation be escalated any further? That is, is there a over-arching governing body you can write to?

At this time, I'd encourage to find the things that work for you in terms of your own self-care. It is important you have the strength to do yourself justice in such a terrible-sounding situation.

I'd encourage you to continue reaching out.

tyme

It was escalated and they sent both the culprits to my office alone to confront me without any support. It has since gotten alot worse and now work is almost unbearable and I have a significant flare up in my pre existing condition. 

I know you've probably considered that many times, but seeing you are so 'overqualified', do you have to stay there? @Liz76 

Another thing, so you have an organisation such as Worksafe (VIC) where you can report such repeated bullying?

I did not say I was over qualified.  That's unfair and thanks for your support 

Sorry @Liz76 , I mean "highly qualified". I'm sorry if I typed the wrong thing.

My sincere apologies @Liz76 . I didn't mean it that way.

Are you able to do something nice for yourself tonight @Liz76 ?

Hi @Liz76,

I've just finished reading your post - it's sounds like you have gone through a really tough time over the last few years. As someone that has a close family member that had to retire from their job due to the impact of that job on their mental health my heart goes out to you. 

You did really well to get back into the workplace - I'm sure it took a lot of work, strength and courage on your part to rejoin the workforce. I would imagine it would be so disheartening and frustrating after all that effort you are now going through this situation due to your team leader. It sounds like she is over-managing you - do you think there may be some gaslighting going on?

Nobody deserves to be made to feel this way - particularly in a work environment. The fact that your team leader suggested you `slim down' in this day and age is offensive and almost hard to comprehend. It's good that you reported this to HR but it sounds inappropriate that they sent both the bullies to confront you about it. Do you have a union at your workplace? It sounds from you have said that a lot of what is going would be in conflict with basic workplace practices. 

I can understand why you are feeling the way you are - particularly after you worked so hard to get back on your feet and rejoin the workforce. I'm really sorry this is happening to you - it's not okay and I really hope you can speak to someone around getting support. Do you have anyone at work that you feel like you can confide in that may be able to help you? Would you feel comfortable / are you interested in lodging a compliant with the Fair Work Ombudsman. Here is a link to their site Fair Work Ombudsman.

I really hope things get sorted for you soon. You have every right to feel safe and supported in your workplace. We all have days when we think about work in our private time but it's not right that this is affecting your thinking, your sleep and your everyday life.

I wish you all the best,

FloatingFeather

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance