Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

DefiantPanda
Senior Contributor

Psychologists and Hypnotherapy

I saw a psychologist today. I told the psychologist about what I've been going through. Yesterday the anxiety/paranoia had abated somewhat but today after I saw the psychologist it came back pretty strong. I think I caught him trying out hypnosis on me. The thing is I've seen him before and I trust him and think he's a good guy but I think I react rather badly to NLP, keyword word-salad and hypnosis in general. I think it just sets off a red flag warning in my brain and starts off a flight or fight response. Does anyone else have an experience with a psychologist setting off anxiety or just making you feel a bit funny?

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Psychologists and Hypnotherapy

Hi @DefiantPanda

I think you should probably ask him if he was trying hypnosis, most psychologists are pretty happy to explain their approaches. Could it be possible that they were just speaking very calmly to you to help you feel more settled. I know when I have been really unsteady/dissociated in sessions my psychologist will talk in a really calm, gentle and kind of soothing voice... probably how i talk to my kids when they're upset lol! 

Yes i sometimes get very anxious in sessions and I've had weeks where i just over thought what was said in session and assumed they meant something quite different to what it was because my perceptions were always trying to make me look bad or suspicious of what ever was said... did she really mean that? or is she just sugar coating? etc etc...

I would say, if you have liked him in the past nad you do trust him, just ask him out right 🙂

good luck

LJ

Hi DefiantPanda,

Its great to read you went along and saw a psychologist today. Particularly one you have seen before and trust. Its unfortunate you were left feeling worse as result - with more anxiety and paranoia. L But I want to assure you that this isn’t necessarily uncommon or a bad thing. It really is not uncommon to feel confused, stressed, or sad after an appointment. And it may be because the session raised some sensitive issues for you.

If you are concerned about these feelings, or about your suspicions he was trying hypnosis on you, I really encourage you to talk with the psychologist. The sooner you are on the same page with what kind of treatment or therapy works best for you, the sooner the sessions should start to feel productive.

Okay thanks guys, it's good to know I'm not the only one who walks away from a psychologist feeling worse... Most people say they feel better. I will ask him next time if he was trying it. Probably I am just hyper sensitive. Feeling better now. Again thanks for the replies it helps.

I have only met some people who feel better after counselling session.  For me it depends on what went down .. and what I am dealing with in life.

Generally ethical psychs would only do hypnosis with express permission .. it may have been a bit of what @Former-Member suggested .. trying to calm you down ..

sometimes I dont think they are that sure what they are doing anyway .. just trying to reach the person in fron of them we hope.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance